• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Speedometer issue ( Many threads read)

bpvideo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1995 Cherokee 2WD AW4, 4.0 Automatic.

The speedometer and odometer died a couple weeks back, thew CEL with code 15 no vehicle speed sensor signal. I have replaced the VSS as well as checked and clean the connectors from the VSS to the connector behind / next to the valve cover gasket and several other connections also have checked all fuses.

Back in December my trip odometer quite working when I tried to reset but would "click" trying to turn, this told me a tooth was broke in the trip od.

Questions I am looking for input on.
1) Would the CPU through the VSS code if it is something behind or in the dash panel such as bad connection or failed electronic?
2) could the Trip OD have caused a failure in the reg OD and Speedo mechanics or electronics?
3) any other connectors or points I should check under the hood before pulling the cluster out?

I will be pulling the dash this weekend but wanted to check for any other input before I do so. :repair:

Quick update, I pulled the cluster this week no signs of corrosion or bad connections, I have realized my cruise control & horn is not working now. I can hear the horn relay clicking.... NEW QUESTION Would a bad Clock spring cause the Speedo to not work?

HELP PLEASE! I just dropped $45 to order a junk yard cluster, I don't have money to keep throwing at this.

i dont think that the cpu would throw those codes because of something in the dash itself. Do your gas, oil, and temp gauges work? If not its definitely the cluster. i have a broken speedo as well and need to replace my vss. i have the exact same symptoms with my horn and cruise. any discoveries?

Last edited:
Nothing yet, I have checked all the grounds an cleaned, checked the Speedo Drive gear, tried a different cluster. Wondering if the clockspring could cause a speedo issue..?

Speedometer, Cruise & Horn Not working....anybody?
My Speedmeter / odometer , Horn and Cruise control are not working. I did not realize at first that the horn and cruise were out. I have replaced the VSS as well as checked the Speedometer Drive Gear, also checked, Cleaned and Greased connectors from VSS to main harness. Also eliminated the dash cluster as the issue by trying a junk yard one.

I am going to double check and clean all grounds.

Any ideas of a common connection or ground point I could have missed? Has anyone else seen this combination of issues?

Last edited:
im having the exact same issues here. no clue what could cause them. dont know too much about the cluster. wish i did, if you figure this out give me a shout? it would be lovely to know how fast im actually going to to be able to honk at people haha

A little update, after 6" of snow and very cold temps, my horn is now working but sounds like a dying walrus... I am guessing the cold has expanded a short and allowing some contact....???? Still going with the clockspring.. will update once that is done.

Any follow up? Same thing with me...speedometer and cruise are not working, horn is good. Have checked gauge cluster and replaced VSS and I am at a loss. Thank you.
2000 XJ, 4.0, AW4, 2wd, 255K

Some follow up:
I bit the bullet and ordered a Mopar clock spring with cruise control. 155 off Ebay. The ones with cruise are scarce as hen's teeth, and expensive. Hopefully this will eliminate that annoying air bag light and fix my cruise control.

However; yesterday I changed transmission fluid and filter, and half of the speedometer gear drive housing was in my transmission pan. So I now have confirmation of the speedo problem.

Should I be worried about where the other half of the housing is? I looked at the FSM procedure for changing this, does not look too bad...any input or experiences?

2000 XJ, 2wd, AW4, approx 300K

The other half, as in not the other half you pulled out from the top?

It had to go somewhere, I wouldn't want it bouncing around inside the transmission. Then again, I've never dealt with a 2wd, so I.could.be.FOS

Back