• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it ok to run the blower motor on speeds 1 & 2 with a melted harness plug?

DerMeister

NAXJA Forum User
Title pretty much says it all. I replaced the blower motor resistor a couple of years ago because the old one stopped working and was rotted out. Today speeds 1-3 stopped working again, so I went to clean the connections and check things out on the resistor. When I touched the plug, the blower motor started to work again. Turns out the plug is melted a bit on one of the connections.

I know I have to replace the blower motor, harness, and resistor again to be safe and do it right, but is it ok if I run the blower motor on speeds 1 & 2 just to keep warm until I can get the parts in?

I'd check the plug into the ignition switch just in case. It can turn into a real PITA.

Well, I might be a dumbass, but here's a thought - resistance is what creates heat. Position #1 actually has a much higher resistance than position 5. Position 5 is just "system voltage", the others are stepped down.
You might be better off on high than low.
That said... I'd drive it with whatever heat you can get until you smell burning plastic, then fix it.

i'd replace the plug with one hacked off of a junkyard jeep ASAP before you start a fire behind the dash. those plugs burn up all the time when mine burned i had to go through 11 jeeps at the yard to find one that wasn't melted.

The one that was burnt was the one on the far left if that matters. I called the Jeep dealership around here and he said that it'd be fine to run on the low settings. Dunno which one will create more heat. It seems that the higher the fan speed, the more amps it will use.

8mud, I'm still a noob compared to a lot of guys here. What would I check with the plug at the ignition switch?

The ignition switch itself is about halfway down the steering column. The heater only comes on when the key and switch are in the run position (or ACC position). The wire that supplies power for the heater circuit has a tendency to overheat at the ignition switch connector when the system draws to much amperage. Your toasty connector at the resistor might indicate this has happened and you don't want the ignition switch connector to have a meltdown, it is hard to get to and even harder to repair.

I think you have a 2000 Cherokee. If so, here's a schematic of your blower circuit you can use to troubleshoot the system.

jpgACHEATERCONTROLBLOWER1_31_13-1.jpg

Thank you guys! 8Mud, I will definitely check that out. Sidewinder, I really appreciate the schematic, it has already answered one of my questions.

I'll be ordering the parts now. Man am I happy I found out about rockauto. Parts generally cost 40% less than they do at the parts stores for the same exact parts.

Just having a bad plug could be causing the problem. I'd back the wires and individual connectors out of the plastic plug. Keep track of which color goes where. Examine and replace with new crimp-no connectors if needed. Push each individual wire back onto it's terminal. The warped plastic plug shell can put extra stress on the connections. Don't use it.

Just having a bad plug could be causing the problem. I'd back the wires and individual connectors out of the plastic plug. Keep track of which color goes where. Examine and replace with new crimp-no connectors if needed. Push each individual wire back onto it's terminal. The warped plastic plug shell can put extra stress on the connections. Don't use it.

I can tell it's the blower motor just because of how loud it's gotten over the past year. I chose to ignore replacing it.

I recall smelling burn electrical the day before this happened when running the fan on the 3 setting. That is when it happened.

Back