• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

{help} 4.5" lift, short arms hitting spring plate

YoungAndJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
I have 4.5" Rough Country X-series lift. It has straight short arms (mistake) and at ride height the arms are about .5"-3/4" away from touching the bottom edge of the shock/coil mount on top of the axle. The arms have dings where the plate hits it. I understand I have plenty of uptravel but very little down travel.

I know I can:
Drop Brackets - eventually
Long Arms - Not gonna happen
Get bent arms - 75% no, I just added the kit a month ago and Don't plan on the expense of another set of adjustable LCAs

I am wondering If I can TRIM/CUT/SHAVE material off of the bottom of this plate to allow for more clearance. Not a lot, but maybe a 3/4" radius half circle to cuff the arm as it enters the space.

Looking for suggestions and opinions.

Thanks

Here are pics

2014-02-17_14-52-50_404_zpstec7urla.jpg

2014-02-17_14-52-56_705_zpslkyxfuxh.jpg

yes, you can trim em a little

Start saving for drop brackets. it cant ride very well with control arm angles like that

just trim the plates until you can do drop brackets.

yes, you can trim em a little

Start saving for drop brackets. it cant ride very well with control arm angles like that

Know any cheap ones? are Rough Country one's good?

And no it doesn't ride too great but MUCH better than my rolly polly stock jeep which had no shocks pretty much.

On my old 94 XJ I had the Rough Country Drop Brackets at 4.5-5". It rode sooooo much better after install. Just save up for some and you'll be fine. You won't regret spending the cash. My $0.02

I'd go grinding wheel, myself, after grinding a clean surface and drawing an arc on it. Don't want to get carried away, y'know?

Yes, the least expensive way to have more travel/flex and better ride is drop brackets. Overall, the brackets looks pretty much the same. So, whatever is the least expensive should work for you. They are for sale used periodically around here. So keey your eyes peeled.

Another $0.02, see if you flipped the arms around, if that would give clearance.:dunno:

If you look at the pic, the bushing sleeve at the axle end is already offset. So, there would be less if turned around.

Know any cheap ones? are Rough Country one's good?
i bought mine used for $50 and got a complete hardware kit shipped to me from rough country for less than $10. keep an eye on the classifieds for people who are upgrading.

On my old 94 XJ I had the Rough Country Drop Brackets at 4.5-5". It rode sooooo much better after install. Just save up for some and you'll be fine. You won't regret spending the cash. My $0.02
x2

If you look at the pic, the bushing sleeve at the axle end is already offset. So, there would be less if turned around.
x2 and personally id rather have the jam nut and threads up top, keep them from getting beat on.

If you have to ask what kind of grinder wheel... use a flap disc. You could dog ear the corner with a cutoff wheel, but in confined spaces a bound up cut off wheel is a racecar in the red.

Drop brackets will give you more up travel as well. Would move those transmission lines up higher.
On mine on extreme flex the upper control arm has touched the oil pan flange.

get different arms that have a bend in them

He could bend his arms, or get bent arms, but that would only solve the clearance problem. He would still be left with crappy control arm angles

Back