• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Uber Rare--But all OEM

Happytrails

NAXJA Forum User
Today I installed the 21 slot grille I have been looking for. Found it at Burkhardt Automotive in Indiana. Ebay. Turns out he had it on the shelf for years (like since 1985!) It is an NOS grille in near perfect shape! I kept the 92 Laredo light bezels I have on this 96 Sport, added upper and lower stainless steel grille trim from an 88 XJ, and screwed the 84/85 Wagoneer 21 slot grille right in! Easy. Had to trim the stainless a bit, but it was one of the easier XJ projects. I really like the look. Seems to go along with the many slotted louvers on the hood. Lots of bling. Maybe I will call it my tuxedo XJ.

99275-21slots2.jpg

99274-21slots.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, never seen one of those. Looks cool.

That's why I wanted to do this mini project. It is a forgotten look. The grille only appeared on the XJ Wagoneer in 84 and 85. So to find a New Old Stock (NOS) grille was nothing short of amazing. I had to install it.

Wow I never noticed that !
Worst part about that statement is that my Spare'Okee has that grill, I just went outside and looked.

Like the Jedi Logo too

They are around! Not many. And usually in hiding! Most of them went away with the Chevy 2.8

BTW, to make the Jedi logo, just flip the P around. Cut up a spare J to make the I. Thats how I learned it from Obi Wan.

Is that little bitty Jeep logo on the corner of the drivers side on the hood OEM also, or did you do that? I've never seen that.

Re: Re: Uber Rare--But all OEM

Is that little bitty Jeep logo on the corner of the drivers side on the hood OEM also, or did you do that? I've never seen that.

That's oem my parents 85 had that logo on it.

I have one too, but it was installed at factory :p

I found your project thread a while back. It inspired me to do this, as these are so rare. Looks like you have a "Wagoneer base" model. Does it have the V6 engine?

Saw a V6 in the jy a while back. Reminded me of my first XJ. Bot a new Laredo V6 back in 1986. Kept it 4 years. Does that make me the oldest XJ owner on the forum? My current 96 Sport I bought last summer. My third XJ.

The small jeep logo is oem.
It's not a v6 thank god,
I have a waggy base, which still has power windows and AC, with the 2.5 4 banger, but got rid of the computer controlled carter carb . Running a weber 32/36 like the CJ and YJ guys and I'm getting 30mpgs and it spins 31s adequately. I actually want to dyno it to see how much I improved over stock lol.

And I think I got you beat on age, mines an 84 :p

Guess I misread that haha, although my family has driven nothing but jeeps till recently, but I'm holding to tradition. My father bought a waggy exactly like mine in 84.
I think I may have the oldest XJ on here though. I wonder what number my jeep is...

I snagged one of those grilles out of a local jy a few years ago. I prefer the 87 grille though. But I might throw the older one on just for fun

The small jeep logo is oem.
It's not a v6 thank god,
I have a waggy base, which still has power windows and AC, with the 2.5 4 banger, but got rid of the computer controlled carter carb . Running a weber 32/36 like the CJ and YJ guys and I'm getting 30mpgs and it spins 31s adequately. I actually want to dyno it to see how much I improved over stock lol.

Good choice on the carb for the 2.5. I used those Weber 32/36 carbs on my Spitfires and Cortinas for years. Simple. Effective. Reliable. Stays in tune. Should serve you very well.

I snagged one of those grilles out of a local jy a few years ago. I prefer the 87 grille though. But I might throw the older one on just for fun

The 86/87 quad light Wagoneer grille is my next tweak, sort of. I am thinking of keeping the 21 slot and putting on the quad headlight header panel and bezels. That would be a bastard stepsister, but still all OEM!

Back