• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Difficulty shifting, getting into gear (93 XJ 5spd)

nmxjhwy14

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all!

So the other night I was heading home on the interstate and downshifted from 5th to 4th to get more power while heading up a steep grade, once ascending the grade I attempted to go back into 5th gear and was unable to with the usual ease I am used to, in fact it wouldn't shift at all with the normal force I exert on the stick. So I pulled off the interstate at the next possible exit to find out I could get not get into any gears. With a little maneuvering, I got to first, second, and finally limped my way home in third. The next morning I started her up and went out for a test drive. The gears shifted fine until reaching standard operating temperature and suddenly, the same problem.

I have researched a little here and there, came across this video where the guy was having a similar issue and just replaced the master cylinder which seems to have solved the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwMNdvSsZBo

That is my first course of action, as it would be the quickest, most inexpensive. I am hoping the transmission didn't somehow run out of fluid thus causing the tranny to burn up! I will be checking the fluid tomorrow. But recognizing this issue could be any number of things any advice/input/experience in the meantime will be extremely useful and appreciated. I'll take pictures and update as this process unfolds.

Have you checked the Slave master cylinder and the brake master cylinder for fluid? That is the first step. Both use brake fluid. If the slave was low (common for it to leak after a few years) you can top it off and try pumping the clutch pedal with the cap off (wrap a towel around the opening to catch the fluid from bubbles popping) until you don't see anymore bubbles. Top it off and cap it making sure to check it periodically. If the slave and brake cylinders are full, may be linkage issues or the clutch itself.

I've had trouble like that with both ax5 ba10, wich run similar to the system on the ax15 (I replaced the peugot tranny with an ax15,)

I really don't see how low oil in the brake master would have anything to do with your problem. Of course check the clutch master, its closer to the fender on the driver side. If it's not full, fill it up, try it again, chances are that if was not full, it's leaking somewhere, and you NEED to fix that leak.

From 90 to 96 their was like 3 different master/slave system for the clutch, I decided to get a complete master/cylinder for a 96 from the dealership with the line, pre-bled, it was expensive but the quickest way to get me back on track.

Check for leaks from the master to the slave

I've never been through a clutch yet, I've changed the transmission but kept the same clutch, and have a spare new one in case... I feel like the clutch is really tough, and can handle lots of anything. I had to go for big ride stuck on fourth gear once... Wich led me to trash that ba10 tranny. And of course I had to make it slip to start.. but their was no sign of wear when I took it apart.

Last edited:
Back