• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96.5 won't run after 3/4 miles. Checking grounds?

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
Driving my brothers 96 XJ, 5spd, no major engine mods long arms 4.5 lift or so.

Starts up fine, let it warm up for about 10 min while I shoveled snow and leaded it up. Drove about 4/5 miles to the shop and just at the end I felt it stuttering some. About 2 hours later I go home make it about 2 miles and it stutters and goes then stutters like someone is turning the key off and back on while driving.

Finally it quit and wouldn't start, checked wires, sensors and the group of ground wires that use the bolt for the dipstick tube is falling off from a poor crimp. Half hour later my ride show up so I go to move it and it starts. Drive about half a mile to a diner to leave it in a parking lot instead of the side for a plow truck to smack.

Just now I went back with tools to redo the crimps, started it and drove it home about 3 miles with no issues. Is there anything else I should check? It seems to be an electrical issue related to engine temp as well.

I would start with the O2 sensor. My '96 did exactly the same thing. Start and run perfect when cold then stumble and die after a short drive. Leave it alone for about an hour and it would drive some more.

What error codes does it display? On that year, a bad O2 sensor code are bit too generic to nail it down precisely. In fact, it had a bad sensor that resulted in very poor gas mileage and did not set a code (check engine light). Neither did a scanner reveal anything out of the ordinary.

Oh! the reason the engine run when cold is because the PCM ignores the O2 when the engine is cold but read it when the engine get warm/hot.

ok thanks a lot, i took that ground off the jeep and it still started up so that had me thinking it wasn't just a ground issue.

which O2 did you replace, do you remember?

ok thanks a lot, i took that ground off the jeep and it still started up so that had me thinking it wasn't just a ground issue.

which O2 did you replace, do you remember?

I replaced the one up front,...the one in the manifold.
Did you check for error codes?

It just started throwing a code last night, I can't get it to a place with a reader but my brother has one and will be around over the weekend. We'll check the code and see what it is. That O2 is in there good so ill wait to check before I rip it out.

I have had cam position sensor troubles with my 96.
The magnets separate from the holder because the
glue fails. Maybe not your problem, just something
to keep in mind.

Let us know what the code is...

Definitely read the code and post the exact number here for comment. The fact that you have both symptoms and a code is not likely a coincidence. They are almost assuredly related.

I have seen your symptoms be caused by a failing "crankshaft position sensor", which is one of the most common sensor failures on the Jeep 4.0 engine.

They can suffer from thermal (heat related) failure, then work again when cold.

Brother came home with his reader..... "P0505 IAC Malfunction"

So that's one I didn't see coming. Ill mess with it later, my jeep is in the garage now so when that's done I'll get his in and mess with it.

Back