• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pump

foress_89

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys I'm changing the oilpan gasket and rear main seal on my motor, and
decided to check my oil pump at the same time.

I was just wondering if anyone had something to say about that, Does anyone
bother with checking it? The manual asks for .002 clearance between gear
tooth and pump body. .002 fits everywhere, someplaces I can fit up to .004..
According to the manual I should change it, I mean it would be twice the
clearance...

I can feel a bit the grooves on top and bottom of the gears, it's hard to say
how deep they are. Also one tooth has what looks like a small chip. Maybe I
should get picture.

And then they sell a "repair kit" on rockauto, but that doesn't change the
body only the gears.. You guys think I should get a new oil pump?

SORRY about the really big pictures, but at least you can see the details.

9Jxmy70.jpg

fspblgg.jpg

DDLYXZD.jpg

It's pretty easy to improve what you have. Stone the nick out of the gear. Use sheets of sandpaper laying on a piece of glass (flat) to lap out the grooves in the cover. Can do same with gear ends. Then lap down end of case to get your .002 clearance. Start with coarse paper and go to smoother.

Or spend the $100 for a new pump.

If the oil pressure was good hot or cold I would simply clean all the gunk out and re-install it. If I was unsure of the serviceable life left in it, I would replace it with a new one.

The oil pump in an engine is like the heart in a human being. If the heart/pump stop moving the life giving blood around and every thing else quit. You are already in there. Do not return an oil pump to service that you are questioning.

Simply put...I personally would replace it.

Not so much for the clearances showing wear. Just because it's all apart, and taking it all apart again to replace the pump isn't routine. I'd do the oil filter adapter too...if you haven't already.

Then you'll likely never have to do it again.

I decided to go with a repair kit. I'll let you know how it goes. Sorry for being cheap, 40$ for repair kit or 100$ for complete pump.. I decided to save 60$. IF I had been rebuilding the engine (changing bearings and rings) I would have put a new one for sure.

Back