• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy with overheating problems

Kyle xj

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys I have done everything I have read and read so now I'm coming to you guys.
So I bought my 1996 cherokee 4.0 4x4 from a lady for $500 and she said its a new motor I'm guess she meant rebuilt but runs and drives great, I'm gonna make it into a trail rig. So the other day I was driving it and noticed it never gets hot so I checked the thermostat and we'll it wasn't there.. So I put one in and it now does not get any flow now.. I tried 3 different thermostats.. New radiator, new water pump, new temp sensor, still just no flow. The hose on top stays cold ans the radiator stays cold so anther guy told me my water pump is spinning the wrong way "counter clockwise"? I don't know if there is a different motor in here or what's going on with this flow. How can I tell what year motor I have too?:hang:

So without the tstat you said the temperature never goes up? With the tstat does your temperature go up? I'm trying to see if your temps are displaying on your cluster relatively accurately?

If you have any air in the system, that air will find it's way into the upper radiator hose and you will get no flow. Since you have changed the tstat and waterpump I wouldn't be surprised if you had a large bubble. Shake your upper radiator hose violently and see if you hear water sloshing around. You shouldn't.

You should also check for leaks with a pressure tester. I would try those two things before messing with the system any more.

Back