• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 XJ Issues, Problems and Help Needed

Jrz91XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Fellow Jeep Enthusiasts,
I just purchased a 91 XJ sport with a 4.5 lift
The guy I purchased it from didn't know much about the list components at all. It's got Skyjacker Hydro 7000 front shocks and that's all he knows. The trackbar had snapped, the ball joints are worn out, the tie rod ends are worn out, the sway bar links don't exist And everything looks like it may have come from eBay.

I bought a Rough Country fully adjustable trackbar and installed it. I bought tie rod ends and ball joints. The tie rod ends are wrong and don't fit the rod (too big) and they look different.

Another issue I've been having is that since I have a slight tap, I changed the oil and used Lucas in place of a qt of oil. Tapping has gone down but my oil pressure sits at 70-80 psi which seems high.

The temp gauge has also sat at 0 since I bought it, Eben after replacing the thermostat.

The other day the hazard light button broke off and had my hazards stuck on. I stuck a flathead in and bent something metal which drove my blinkers to go crazy. I managed to get them back working, BUT I've lost my brake lights. I replaced the brake light switch to no avail. Fuses are also all fine. They were working before the hazard light switch broke. I do not know if they are correlated.

I haven't owned an XJ for 8 years and didn't play around with my last one at all. Any and all help is extremely helpful.
Thank you!!

Start by replacing the hazard light switch. The increase in oil pressure could possibly be from a spun bearing. I would pull the oil pan and check. The temp thing is either wiring or a bad sensor (at the rear of the head).

well if the motor never gets hot your oil is gonna stay really thick......especially since you added lucas. That being said, replace the temp sensor and check the wiring. The oil pressure can also be from a really gunked up motor..........which from the sound of your overall problems...isn't exactly out of the realm of possible to have a gunked up motor. I hope jeeperjohn is incorrect about the bearings........you would have to stack two bearings to get increase oil pressure and that would be really bad!

Start by replacing the hazard light switch. The increase in oil pressure could possibly be from a spun bearing. I would pull the oil pan and check. The temp thing is either wiring or a bad sensor (at the rear of the head).

How do I replace the hazard light switch? I'm assuming that its in the column and it doesn't look like there is a way to take it apart.

I'm gonna have to drop the pan this weekend, I hope Its not a spun bearing.
I should let you know that after driving awhile the oil pressure goes down a bit and if I stop after driving it sits at 60.

I hear there is two temp sensors, one on the thermostat housing and one somewhere near the back. Which is displayed by the sensor?

Back