• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing just the drag link/long tre question.

doped304

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but no one seems to have the situation I'm currently in. I have a 99 xj that the previous owner installed new Moog parts on the entire draglink/Tie rod assembly. The only part that he didn't swap was the long part of the draglink from the knuckle to the adjustment sleeve.
The problem I have is the grease boot on the knuckle is missing. I searched for the correct energy suspension boot but was unable to find it local. The ones I find are junk and last about 3000 miles.
My question is could I just measure my current one and throw a 35$ autozone one in? Can I bust it loose from the knuckle and unthread it from the adjustment sleeve? Or will I have to take it loose from the pitman arm and risk tearing up my good grease boot there?
Thanks in advance.

Not sure what you are asking ?

Every AutoZone and NAPA in town has polyurethane tie rod end boots in assorted sizes and colors, or can order some. The junkyard is full of good used ones.

Remove whatever joint needs a boot, and pop one on. If you need a drag link, buy one and install it.

Back