• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No power to windows. Renix

bails85

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 windows dont work they used to go up and down but after sitting a while nothing. It doesnt seem im getting power to switches at all. Where are the fuses or relays at? I looked at the fuse panel butni didnt see one for the power windows. Is it located somewhere else? What else shoul i try?

There is a circuit breaker in the fuse block. I've kicked mine accidentally and had if fall out. It is located near the bottom of the fuse block, a small silver/metal colored box maybe an inch long and 1/4-3/8 inches wide. It is marked PWR ACCY and is the 30 Amp circuit breaker. There are two of them, the other is a 5.5 amp circuit breaker for the windshield wipers.

I found that out earlier. All power is back to the windows. Are there any tips to cleaning the tracks and lubing the gears to get them to go up and down smoothly?

The rubber tubing extension for the cable/spring guide can come loose. The hold down plastic cable tie and anchor rots or comes loose. If that extension gets in the wrong position it will bind the cable. If the extension is rotting, you can replace it with plastic tubing. That plastic extension is usually full of old grease and junk. It can be hard to get the extension off of there, there is a one way hook near the bottom of the cable guide that holds it on.

The felt runners for the window can get old and split. The window glass tries to jam in the split. I use a dry lube for the felt runners, spray silicon or teflon powder.

The side window wipers get old and hard, I usually remove the inner wiper which makes it much easier for the window to go up. It does let some air blow in behind the side window, but much less air than if your window sticks in the down position in the winter. :)

The slot in the cable guide is pointing outwards. I gently heat and curve a nozzle extension and blow into the cable guide slot with brake cleaner. Then let it dry and blow some spray grease in the slot. The trick is getting the brake cleaner and the grease into the slot without spraying yourself in the face :).

I jumped the power wire and ground for my seats to my windows behind the drivers side kick panel and added another ground. The up side is the windows now go up maybe 20-30% faster, the down side is my windows now work with the key in the off position.

Back