• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 rebuild.

SuperGlue

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I have never rebuilt an axle before but im going to give it a shot along with installing my own gears. Its pretty much the last thing on my list to learn to do and I just need to bite the bullet. With that being said I have decided to roll with motive gear instead of yukons because of this being a learning experience. Im going from 3.55 to 4.10, I know I need to grab a new carrier also. My question is, does this motive overhaul kit come with everything I need to rebuild my 30? From what I see in the picture I at least need a new pinion nut, and I need ball joints, and unit hubs. Anything else I'm missing? Thanks for the help,
-Phil

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/motive-gear-overhaul-kit-model-30.html

Last edited:
And also, I noticed that both Yukon and Motive claim their overhaul kits are put together with "high quality timken bearings". The yukon kit is 180, motive 80. Is yukon just charging for the name?

Hell I'd go ahead and just install a locker in it while your at it. Maybe a truss and few gussets too.

The lockrite will work well in the front. Very slight click on turns that is barely noticeable.

Yeah my brother has a lockrite in his 98 Cherokee. It works great and the only time I notice it is at full lock. I'm thinking I am going to go that route. If I order a lockrite I don't need to order a new carrier correct?

I plan on replacing all seals. I'm getting a full timkin rebuild kit from top to bottom. I'm just thinking that if the lockrite is 180-240, and the low ratio carrier is 80, then I may as well get a more expensive locker that replaces the carrier.. any good lockers for 300-400? Seems like everything but a lockrite is 500 plus. I would like an ox, but that exceeds my budget..

I have a pair of new in-box Spicer D30 Inner Axle Seals that I mis-ordered, let me know if you need them. Fits factory 1 piece shafts (non-disco axle) $10 for the pair shipped to your door.

Back