• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper steering column shaft

foress_89

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I'm working on my jeep, getting it ready for the spring!!

I was relying on a steering shaft from the scrap yard, that someone banged on with a hammer to get the steering off.. and I couldn't find the nut. The thing is mine is pretty stripped. I could probably fix the threads of the one that's been banged out a bit but I'd rather get one in good condition the first time.

Jeep is 1992 sport 2door
Now I've got this part number 8350 2100

Does anyone know from what wich years would be a direct fit? Now this one at the scrapyard I know it's a 1992 but would one from a 1996+ fit?

Someone was telling me that some fords might share parts with my jeep?

I think it would be easer to replace the complete column. Just make sure to get one with the same options. Pretty sure one from a 91-6 would work. 89 and 90's might have different wiring connectors. I never changed a column in a jeep but it has to easer then swapping shafts.

Are you talking about the shaft that goes from the cowl to the steering box?

If so then you need a shaft from a 91-94 for yours. The difference is the length of the shaft. That shaft will telescope some but not enough to make it interchangeable for all years.

In order to remove/replace the shaft the steering box has to be loosened and dropped out some or the column needs to be loosened and pulled up some to get the shaft in without screwing it up.

Here for the record, I found one from an automatic, it went really well to take it apart in one piece thanks for the advice!

Tool required:
15mm Longreach socket
1/2 inch or 13mm socket
cutters for tie wraps
1/2 wrench, gearwrench if you have one (I wish I brought mine lol)
Long (~2 feet) metal punch
Big hammer

Use the wrench to remove bolt holding the shaft in the engine bay, then use the punch and hammer to bang on it so it loosens the rust.

I don't know if everything will fit since it's from an automatic I will see, it should be easy adjustments. Maybe someone know off hand like that?

MPN0nrq.jpg

Back