• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Updated battery cable n now smoke coming out of harness

JeepNovice

NAXJA Forum User
Updated battery cable n now smoke coming out of harness the connection on top of engine. I also upgraded alternator to 170amp. Jeep starts right up but smokes comes out of back of head. It 99 xj sport

Updated battery cable n now smoke coming out of harness the connection on top of engine. I also upgraded alternator to 170amp. Jeep starts right up but smokes comes out of back of head. It 99 xj sport

What battery cable upgrade?

What harness connector on top of the engine?

Do you have photos by any chance?

I just updated to 4 gauge
-Battery to block
- battery to fender
+ battery to pdc
+ to starter
Alternator to pdc w 175 amp mega fuse

It s the T bundle of wires that goes across parallel to fuel rail. I can post pic later

got a video of it. It doesn't look like it's coming from harness but more from inside cabin. nothing looks obviously melted and then check gauge light goes on as it starts to smoke.

if it doesn't smell like burning plastic it's something spilled on the exhaust manifold. it looks real wet back there either oil or that leaky injector you posted about. (just going by the video)

so i figure since the valve cover gasket is leaking and the smoke coming around that area, i have replaced the valve cover gasket and will replace o rings for injectors tonight. Valve cover gasket was really bad, the bolts came out quite easily they weren't hold much. I am hoping this will help, I found another 2 loose injectors.

I do have a leaking head gasket but its never done that before

Do you really have a bad head gasket or did you mean the valve cover gasket?

Do you know if your exhaust manifold is cracked?

Your video looks very similar to a Jeep I bought that had a blown head gasket and badly cracked exhaust manifold.

What does the smoke smell like? Electrical smoke is very distinctive, as is coolant in the exhaust.

Sorry I meant valve cover gasket which was leaking a lot. I rebuilt the alternator bc I had a continuous voltage drop. It does not smell like plastic. But why would voltage be related to a cracked head?

Do you really have a bad head gasket or did you mean the valve cover gasket?

Do you know if your exhaust manifold is cracked?

Your video looks very similar to a Jeep I bought that had a blown head gasket and badly cracked exhaust manifold.

What does the smoke smell like? Electrical smoke is very distinctive, as is coolant in the exhaust.
my manifold does have a leak.

So i just let it idle and it stopped smoking but voltage still at 9. I was wondering if i should remove fusable link and use old cable for alternator, which is a 6 gauge, does it mean that I also need to change starter cable to same gauge? I am out of options right now.

Have you verified the voltage out of the alternator and at the battery with a multimeter? I don't see how you're able to continuously start this thing if you're only getting 9 volts. Is it possible the smoke was occurring before and you just now noticed it because of the other work you did? It really seems to me that the smoke is related to the exhaust manifold leak and the voltage issue is separate. Also, you changed the grounds, did you clean the attachment points to bare shiny metal? If not, I'd take them back off and do so as questionable grounds can cause all sorts of weird issues.

For one thing you should have ordered the next size up for the wire instead of what you did. I think it is rated at 150 amp, correct me if I'm wrong. I ordered that size for my 140 amp alt. was close to stepping up but decided I would not go over this size.

Back