• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiggling fuel injector

JeepNovice

NAXJA Forum User
I just noticed my #6 injector wiggles back and forth pretty loosely. I noticed it appears some fuel comes out when i move it. I just noticed this today and others are pretty tight. is it safe to drive jeep this way and what could be the issue?

orings are probably dried out and cracked. I would replace the o-rings as soon as you can. if it's not leaking while the engine is running normally (without you 'wiggling' it) i would say its ok to drive for now but it's eventually going to fail.

Just had one of my injector O rings start leaking and you'd be surprised at how much gas can start leaking out and you don't want an engine fire so if its suspect I would replace it. Might just want to replace them all because in my case removing the rail to replace the one o ring that was bad caused another to started leaking. I found the replacement rings at Napa for like $3 a set, and make sure to lube up the rings before pushing the injectors into the rail and engine ( I used dielectric grease) Made the mistake of not doing this and ended up damaging a bunch of the new rings trying to push them in. Once you have everything hooked back up have someone turn the key to prime the fuel and at the same time hold that valve open on the rail to allow air that is trapped in the rail to escape out.

Wiggling is not an issue if you mean twisting rotationally. When you lube and install new orings, rotating them helps them seat. If they wiggle sideways and leak, replace them. May as well do them all at once.

Lets see here...

Fuel plus heat equals fire. IMO, I would replace the o-rings ASAP. They can be had at your local NAPA for sure. Just lubricate the o-ring prior to installing the injector.

AND... Given that the fuel rail with the rest of the injectors is going to be disturbed, please replace all 12 o-rings. The last thing you would want is to create a problem by accident...

Clean the injector bores carefully so as to not damage the new o-rings during installation. This is one of the easier tasks to perform.

A little hint about gas leaks. Gas evaporates really fast on a hot engine, and seems never to be visible when you're looking. It doesn't mean it's not leaking. It may just mean you'll see the flames before you see the leak.

As with any gas leak, you 'shouldnt drive it', despite how it seems. Gas leaks are no joke, despite the fact that ive driven jeeps with casual gas leaks for months.

Be carefull, get a fire can.

Back