• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much arch should stock springs have?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
I installed new Dorman springs maybe a week ago; I definitely got a boost over my old ones (which were badly reversed) but already the driver's side looks overloaded and completely flat. Is this just normal? I'll post pic later since it's finally not snowing or raining. Stock 99 4.0; only real weight adder is trailer hitch. I did carry about 700 lbs. Of tools in the back for a few hundred miles, but if that killed my new springs then I want different springs because that is normal use for me.

well I just measured my ride height and compared to this thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/measurements-original-stock-ride-height-775172/

I just need to wait for my RR spring to settle some more

thread says stock should be 17.5" hub to flare in front, I'm actually about 17.75"

rear should be 17", I am 17" left and 17.5" right

those springs look like all the arch is out of them though... that can't be right, can it?

IMG_20140204_131745_406_zpsd80a735d.jpg

IMG_20140204_131717_498_zps904da0ef.jpg

I was figuring on budget boosting it and getting some non-shitty tires when I got a little more money together, but I'm reconsidering... I figured using shackles on stock springs would give me a smoother ride, but now that I've seen the complete lack of arch of these springs, I'm thinking 2.5" leaf pack instead? or am I way off in my thinking and everything is actually fine?

Last edited:
thats how stock springs sit. relatively flat to the eye but if you use a yard stick or something on the side of the main leaf you should still have a slight arch. if those are new and you want to lift, i'd add another XJ main leaf. it will give you a little lift, but less than adding the S10 leaf.

damn, maybe I should have kept my rusty old springs... scrap man came to the shop about 10 minutes after I got them swapped tho.

I don't really *want* to lift... but being able to fit 29s or 30s would be nice. and my current tires have nice legal tread but suck arse in bad weather, so new tires are in the cards...

I'd have no problem just going for a standard 2.5"-3" lift except I'm broke; springs, shocks, tires, discos, SYE all at once would hurt. Having this thing tight, reliable, and capable of towing/hauling is most important.

What I did on a couple of Jeeps with sagging springs, to return them to stock or a tiny bit higher, was to add a third, rather than a main leaf. If you look at the springs and the way they are stepped when stock, you will notice that there is a huge gap in length between the second and third springs. If you take a main or second leaf, you can cut it so that its length falls neatly between the lengths of #2 and #3. It becomes the new #3. It adds stiffness and arch to the pack, and of course its own thickness, but keeps height near stock, and has no appreciable effect on ride, except that you won't lose so many teeth when the springs hit the bump stops. A single leaf does not require new U-bolts. You'll have to make or get new clips, and a longer center bolt.

If you have any VW fans in your neighborhood, try to get a couple of the spline or allen head bolts from the U-joints. Just about every VW from the 68 Kombi at least well into the Golfs and Jettas of the 90's uses the same size. They're exactly the right center bolts for an XJ with one extra leaf. The heads are already rounded, they're hardened, and they even take the same nut.

good tip, I know just the bolts you mean, I had tons of FWD VWs back in the day, used to cuss them 'cause of those damn XZN heads. Then I bought a Porsche 944, blew a CV joint, and lo and behold they're the same damn axles as a 181 and the same damn bolts! I'll never be free of them!

I had a handful of spares but I think I gave them all away when I ditched the 944 :/ I have a Fastenal up the street so I can find hex socket head cap screws to spec though, I think those are 12.9, should be strong enough yes? where to find new clips I dunno though...

Those springs in the pics are brand new so I'm guessing they're not sagging then? And story I always heard was reversing your springs makes them wear out faster, well I'm guessing those reverse every time I go over a speed bump so no wonder the stockers have such crap life. At least I got all the hardware freed up so the "next" swap should take two hours not two days... maybe I should just start saving for a OME kit like I wanted in the first place.

Back