• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 MJ Question's

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
I've got the chance to buy a 1987 4 cylinder automatic Comanche from a friend of mine. Seems to be a descent truck, although I haven't seen it in person yet, plan on getting over there tonight. What's this thing worth? Currently it needs a new starter and the 4x4 doesn't work on the front end. With that said, what are my options on doing away with the vacuum setup on the front? Do I need to swap to a newer model XJ Dana 30 or is there some kind of vacuum delete kit someone sells? How under powered at these 4 cylinder MJ's?

Its got a lift and 33's under it now. Basically I would keep it at that, maybe add some steelies, 34" TSL's, a front locker, fender flares, etc.

Edit: Just saw there's actually an MJ section on this forum, (never noticed it, been too focused on XJ's over the years I guess) Mod's please move if this isn't the correct spot for this thread.

Last edited:
There's a way to swap in a one piece shaft on the passenger side. You'll need to put a new seal in at the pumpkin and get a plate for the disconnect part. I'll see if I can dig up the part number. Try googling CAD conversion?

If it truly is a 2.5 with stock auto trans (AW4), it will have 4.56's. Fairly rare combo.

You can also re-use the stock disco cover, doesn't have to be a plate. Also, if not damaged, you can lock the the 2-piece shaft together with the fork, or run a "posi-lok"

There's a way to swap in a one piece shaft on the passenger side. You'll need to put a new seal in at the pumpkin and get a plate for the disconnect part. I'll see if I can dig up the part number. Try googling CAD conversion?

Cool thanks

Back