• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Sliders: Where are they?

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Been browsing threads and can't find much selection on roof/tree sliders.
HD Offroad does not have them on their website (I've PM'd Brian) and from what I read the Top Hat isn't "all that", getting torn off in one case.

Also asked JCR if they'd considered making an option for them for their new modular rack but got no response. I have a bunch of their products already.

Thanks

I think your best option is to do a hybrid cage like EricsXJ or Heavymetal has. That or custom make something similar to HD Offroad.

Do you even need roof sliders out west? Are there many trees in NV?

Was very lucky and found a used HD Offroad roof slider/rack. Do not attach it wimpy stock roof rack rivnuts/screws, they are way too light duty. Need to install it with thru bolts and fender washers. I used like SS 1/4" or 5/16" IIRC. Very solid. Makes a great place to mount 50" lightbars on small tabs welded on.

Brian quit making them. My solution was to have him build my cage! :D Obviously being an hour away makes it a lot easier of an option.

I think your best option is to do a hybrid cage like EricsXJ or Heavymetal has. That or custom make something similar to HD Offroad.

I'll keep looking.. not a huge rush but like the concept.

Do you even need roof sliders out west? Are there many trees in NV?

Probably don't need roof sliders but if needed once they pay for themselves, at least on a clean rig. And they would play double duty as a grab handle for my wife, who's 5'-nothin'.

Heehee.. yeah, the big bull elk like to hide in them. I get what you mean though, compared to out there trees are minimal but it's surprising how much NE NV can look like Montana once you get off I-80 and into the mountains. Part of the goal with the XJ is to go find the trails WITH trees and water until I get retired and back home up north where that's all there is.

Been browsing threads and can't find much selection on roof/tree sliders.
HD Offroad does not have them on their website (I've PM'd Brian) and from what I read the Top Hat isn't "all that", getting torn off in one case.

Also asked JCR if they'd considered making an option for them for their new modular rack but got no response. I have a bunch of their products already.

Thanks

Ive torn the top hat off more than one time, we have allot of trees on the trail. Main problem is that, at the front of the jeep they need to curve inboard so that if you hit a tree with them they dont rip right off and tear the whole gutter mount off. Also it is made of multiple pieces and the sections can get come apart from eachother. One long smooth bar would be best...and its way too much money...

It did kind of save some damage from a flop but other than that I would copy the old HD Offroad design.....

Way back when... I spoke with Brian on the telephone about the product. It was just after he discontinued them and I wanted to know why... The number one reason for discontinuing the product was the shipping costs.

UPS, as you all know, uses a formula based upon the size of the box as well as the actual weight. Given the length of the two main bars, the cost were sky high. Disproportionately so given the weight.

I had always thought that a set of those would make for a good starting point for an exo-cage. Adding in a hoop on the front would be as easy as pie.

Plus, strengthening the unibody has to be a good thing.

I built my own, its ugly and imperfect but has taken some hits. Through bolted and fender washers.

0818131641.jpg

0312121904.jpg

Back