• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C&C hubs on a SRW 14 bolt with discs- enough room for XJ spring perches?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
SO I have been searching all night. I cannot find definitive evidence of someone running C&C hubs on a SRW 14bolt with RuffStuff SRW to C&C hub bracket and XJ perches staying at the stock width for the perches, 44". it seems the SRW has more room than the C&C housing , and it should work with a disc conversion. If it was just a straight C&C housing most folks just say you can fit the XJ perches in between (C and C is only 63.5 total between the hub flanges)

Yeah, it'll fit. I have a C&C 14b and my perches just barely fit. I also have UBE's so they are a little wider than regular style perches too. The outside edge of my perch just about butts up to the factory brake mounting flange. If it has the flange for a SRW, there would be even more room and things would fit just fine.

ya i did more searching and finally found one thread on a lost deserted island somewhere that said the inside flange to inside flange is 51.5" on a SRW. well this one measures 54" from the pictures he texted me (is texted a real verb now?) . And texted pics with hubs on, its for sure 63" WMS to WMS and the hubs are surely C&C from the pics.

So it seems like it will fit since the XJ is 44" center perch to center perch so that should mean with U bolts its probably 47.5" with U bolts. I guess I should go measure my rig but its cold and I am . And adding disc brakes should make it easier. Hopefully this thread help some other poor fool going to a C&C 14 bolt in full bodied XJ.

Last edited:
I tried a C&C housing with C&C hubs and the caliper hits the spring pack. Considering the rotor is in the same place if you use a SRW housing you will probably have the same problem. This was with RE 4.5" pack.

Yah but for some reason according to my research the single rear wheel is wider between backing plates ? 51.5" compared the C&C which is 43.5". I have parts to link it as a worst case scenario but I don't really have any weekends right now so I am trying to make it quick and dirty by going with the leafs...

SRW flanges are wider. On my 5" wide UBE's the outside edge butts up against the welds for the flange. I red filled the RuffStuff mount so the caliper was clearing my 3.5" RE packs and so it was out of the way of rocks.

Backing plate sure, but not the rotor. The backing plate is the only difference between the C&C and SRW housing. Rotor will be in the same position either way.

There was actually about 1/16" clearance from the caliper to the leaf, but that is with new pads. Wouldn't take much wear before you have hard interfierance. You may be able to reclock the caliper, but you will have to modify your brackets and bleeding would be a pain.

where you using the RS weld on or bolt on caliper? I don't mind popping the calipers and tires off to bleed the brakes.

Last edited:
Bolt on. I also had low offset wheels so if i had reclocked them below the axle there wouldn't be much to protect them from the rocks.

Squeeze the leaf spring perches in 1/2" on either side before you burn them in. 1/16" of clearance 9/16" and it's not enough side loading to cause bushing wear or handling issues.

Squeeze the leaf spring perches in 1/2" on either side before you burn them in. 1/16" of clearance 9/16" and it's not enough side loading to cause bushing wear or handling issues.

A half inch per side is definitely enough to cause bushings issues. When I first setup mine, I was narrow by half inch overall. Its was a pain to get the leads aligned and you could see the bushings weren't centered/loaded correctly.

Interesting post. Thank you for putting it up. I had not thought about the C&C rear ends being close to the right width for an XJ, but it does make sense.

Anybody know how much more a C&C 14 bolt weighs over a Dana 44?

Im sure you guys have seen the bible, but if not, take a gander

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/

Under the notes:
C&C and dually brakes are the same.In all cases one side axleshaft is shorter than the other; pinions are centered. 1350 appears to be the only available stock pinion yoke.1-tons feature 40.5" perch spacing - whether C&C or pickup, whether SRW or DRW. 3/4-ton is 42.5" spacing. (COUNTER) - The perchs on my C&C measure 36"Wheel studs went metric for the 88-up C/K trucks, and 96-up vans

Weight of a 14 bolt (with drums) looks like its about 500 lbs
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/106746-what-does-14bolt-weigh.html

Depending on the 44, it looks like they are around 200 lbs.

Ya I think I have read so many threads on pirate, and tons of other forums, in the last week on 14(C&C) bolt swaps, but nothing definitive on someone swapping into an XJ and keeping leaves. so many folks go coils or coil overs or go full width.

Ya they are heavy. But my currie hi9 isn't exactly light.

ya ive rea 43.5" backing plate to backing plate on the C&C axles. I am running a SRW with dually hubs which according to measurements off the axle via text message from the seller are 51.5" backing plate to backing plate and 63" WMS to WMS (haven't gotten it yet-saturday morning)

ill find out saturday when I grab it whether ill be keeping leaves or forced to link the rear now after mocking up perches, brakes, etc

Last edited:
Post lots of pics and details.

I am very interested in what you find out.

I'll be posting pics as soon as I get the axle Saturday and start mocking things up .

f1l4ih.jpg

29w26vr.jpg

Huge thanks on the pics Fox! what brakelines did you use? just stock front lines? Looks like tons of room.

Back