• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheels for 3.5" OME lift on 31x10.50 tires??

escout

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
I'm finally getting ready to put on my OME 3.5 inch lift from DPG Offroad with 31x10.50" tires and I need some opinions on wheel backspacing. I'm planning to run Crager 15x8's (or something similar), but I'm not sure if I should go with 4" or a little less at 4.5". This is my daily driver, but it does see trails on occasion, so it needs to look good and perform well.

Ideally, I want wheels that allow the tires to tuck nicely inside the fenders, as well as turn to full lock without rubbing on the control arms. If at all possible I want to avoid fender trimming (snipping off a few small edges is no big deal).

If anyone is running a similar setup to this, please post pictures of your ride. Thanks!

I have that lift he used to list it as a 4" though.. (It settled to 3.5")

I ran 15x7 rims with 4.25" Backspacing with no trimming for quite some time.
I was able to tuck 31/10.50 Bfg at's very nicely inside the fender and had full range of steering without any rubbing on the L.C.A.'s. Later on I trimmed the fenders for 33/10.50's with the same great results!

Here is a thread where some of the members here helped me figure out what I wanted to use. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1056002

And my build thread if you are curious how it has turned out. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080904

I have been VERY happy with how my Jeep is set up!

Last edited:
My 31's fit fine with stock wheels. ZJ canyons FTW!

Not as cool as canyons that wont rub, but my stock xj wheels were on there at first with only minor rub on lca's at full turn with 31/10.50's.

Before I had my DBO mid arms, I had WJ lowers. No rub. They tuck nicely in the fenders front and rear. I did trim the fronts @ the angle lip.

I have same lift; ran 31's on stock wheels with no problem. Backspacing is the issue. Most after market wheels do not have 4.25 BS. You can find it if you search. Larger than 31's requires new wheels and fender trimming.

The Front tires on my 01 slightly rubbed the LCAs when on 9.50 X 30s", using stock alloy rims. Adjusting the steering limits cured this.
When the 31" were installed, a set of 1-1/4" spacers were used (bringing the effective back spacing to 4") which eliminated the rubbing caused by the taller and wider tires.
Switching to a aftermarket LCA, with good clearance, may be enough without changing the BS.

On my 01, 10.50 X 33"s will fit under the raised and trimmed fenders, when using 8 X 15 rims, with 4" of BS.

I ran 31 x 10.50 Cooper STT on stock Ecco wheels (5.25" BS) with 1.25" spacers, for a net BS of 4" and it was perfect with the DPG 3.5" Super Ultimate (as long as it was bumpstopped properly when Disco'd).
Have since changed both diffs so made other adjustments.

Ive got the same setup as NOTNSUV on my 98. Im running 31x10.50-15 BFG KM2's. They rub just before full lock on the Rusty's LCA's. Ended up puttinga set of Spidertrax spacers up there and they solved everything. I like the stock rims and the spacers are as much as a set of cheap steel rims. Here is the stance front and back with the spacers. The tires come out to the edge of the flares and tuck nicely without any trimming.

Back