• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilt-jeep-engines.com, S&J Engines, S&S Engines, hiperformer.com, anyone bought?

Jonner

NAXJA Forum User
Re: rebuilt-jeep-engines.com, S&J Engines, S&S Engines, hiperformer.com, anyone bough

I've seen a few S&J remans (none were Jeeps). None of them had issues. I know several of the shops in my area speak highly of them. YMMV.

Re: rebuilt-jeep-engines.com, S&J Engines, S&S Engines, hiperformer.com, anyone bough

I'm now looking more seriously at ordering from www.rebuilt-jeep-engines.com.

I just sent them an email to see how good their customer service is and to get an idea on failures. They're listed on the Better Business Bureau website with about 1-2 complaints per year on average. So, if they do a fairly large volume of engines, then this statistic isn't very scary. They're also one of the few companies that list out the parts and casting numbers they use. The parts are brands with acceptable quality.

I wanted to use a local rebuilder, but they're significantly more expensive. So, if I can screen them for potential red flags and they check out, I'm tempted to try them out. I'm posting the email I sent to rebuilt-jeep-engines.com in the post below.

FYI,

Jonathan

My email...

Hello,

I had a few questions about the 96-98 Jeep AMC 6cyl listed here:
http://www.rebuilt-jeep-engines.com/jeep-engine-772.html

Hopefully you can help to provide more information by answering my questions listed below.

1) Are the blocks and heads magnafluxed, and when does this occur in the rebuild process?
2) How much are cam upgrade options, and what choices do I have for cam systems?
About cam systems, I would expect to replace cams and rocker springs and any associated parts (such as keepers, etc.) to make the whole top end reliable and fit together properly.
3) How much would freight shipping be to residential zip code 43206?
4) What company do you use for shipping freight?
5) What volume of engines does S & S engine rebuilding do on a yearly basis?
6) I am doing the engine install myself. Will this void the the 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty?

I would like to have an engine that is reliable for at least the next 5 years with proper installation and careful maintenance. Thanks in advance for helping me make an informed decision.

The response, or lack of, will interesting. Good questions.

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]https://www.sandjengines.com/rebuilt-engines/Search/amc-242lb2[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]https://www.sandjengines.com/Quality[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]These are a couple of links direct to our web site with product information.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]For this application we offer a RV mild performance cam upgrade for 75.00, cylinder head porting for 350.00 and zero balancing the rotating assembly for 165.00. These items increase performance, fuel economy and longevity of your engine. The warranty still stands 7 year 100,000 miles for self-install. The only thing that changes is the amount of labor we cover. Foe self-install we cover 15.00 per hr to a max of 500.00 for the first year only. Freight cost to a business in OH. Is 195.00 or we can ship direct top your residence for 255.00. Most commonly in your area we would use Fed-ex or UPS LTL for shipping. It all depends on transit times to your area. S & J Engines builds on average of 6000 engines per year.[/FONT][/FONT]

Here's the response so far. I'm sending a follow-up email on the questions that were not answered.

They didn't go into much detail on cam options and didn't answer my magnuflux question at all yet.

I might just pull the trigger on one of these engines. Waiting on tax returns to deposit and then the big ticket items get ordered for the swap.

1) Are the blocks and heads magnafluxed, and when does this occur in the rebuild process?

https://www.sandjengines.com/rebuilt-engines/Search/amc-242lb2
https://www.sandjengines.com/Quality
These are a couple of links direct to our web site with product information.

2) How much are cam upgrade options, and what choices do I have for cam systems? About cam systems, I would expect to replace cams and rocker springs and any associated parts (such as keepers, etc.) to make the whole top end reliable and fit together properly.
For this application we offer a RV mild performance cam upgrade for 75.00, cylinder head porting for 350.00 and zero balancing the rotating assembly for 165.00. These items increase performance, fuel economy and longevity of your engine.

3) How much would freight shipping be to residential zip code 43206?
Freight cost to a business in OH. Is 195.00 or we can ship direct top your residence for 255.00.

4) What company do you use for shipping freight?
Most commonly in your area we would use Fed-ex or UPS LTL for shipping. It all depends on transit times to your area.

5) What volume of engines does S & S engine rebuilding do on a yearly basis?
S & J Engines builds on average of 6000 engines per year.

6) I am doing the engine install myself. Will this void the the 7 year, 70,000 mile warranty?
The warranty still stands 7 year 100,000 miles for self-install. The only thing that changes is the amount of labor we cover. For self-install we cover 15.00 per hr to a max of 500.00 for the first year only.

Found this today too:

http://www.spokanejournal.com/local-news/two-engine-remanufacturing-businesses-here-combine/

Two engine remanufacturing businesses here combine
Owners meld S&S Engine, Jones Automotive to form Spokane's S&J Engines Inc.

David Cole January 16th, 2009

Jeffery Johnson and Kelly Snyder, co-owners of S&S Engine Remanufacturing Co. and Jones Automotive Engines Inc., have combined the two companies and now are operating them under the name S&J Engines Inc.

Also, Snyder says he and Johnson are in the process of buying the roughly 20,000-square-foot former Rocker Arm Supply warehouse and office at 817 N. Lincoln, which they have been leasing since Dec. 1 and using as a sales headquarters and engine parts warehouse. They plan to continue to house those activities in that building, he says.

The two men will use the 14,300-square-foot former S&S Engine building, at 1023 N. Monroe, as the remanufacturing plant for S&J Engines, and the 22,600-square-foot former Jones Automotive facility, at 1302 W. Second, as a warehouse for completed engines, Snyder says. Johnson owns the building on Monroe, and Johnson and Snyder lease the building on Second.

Snyder says they're planning to buy the former Rocker Arm Supply building because it is near the remanufacturing plant, which will help S&J Engines operate more efficiently.

He says he and Johnson combined S&S Engine and Jones Automotive to reduce overhead costs and to increase production. "The truth is we merged the two companies to become a bigger and stronger operation. And we want to sell under one hat, instead of two," he says.

S&S Engine and Jones Automotive, while operating separately, both remanufactured engines, but had sold their products mostly to different customers. S&S Engine mainly sold its engines to retail customers via the Internet, while Jones Automotive sold wholesale to car-repair businesses and auto-parts stores in the Northwest. Engine remanufacturing involves buying used engines, taking them apart, cleaning them, remachining some parts and replacing others, and putting everything back together. Neither business did engine installation work, he says.

S&J Engines will continue the business of remanufacturing boat engines in addition to those of passenger cars and light trucks. It will sell the engines to a wide range of customers, including many in California, Texas, on the East Coast, and overseas. It sells 60 percent to 70 percent of its engines via the Internet.

S&J Engines currently has 36 full-time employees and one part-time employee. Twelve of the 36 formerly were with Jones Automotive, Snyder says. He predicts S&J Engines will grow to 40 to 50 full-time employees when the economy picks up.

Johnson and Snyder last year bought Jones Automotive from Robert Jones for an undisclosed sum, and Jones retired, but they continue to lease his former company's building from him.

Just looking for a stock replacement? Stroker, what?
If stock replacement. ATK is probably your best bet. No shipping fees. Can be had through your local auto parts store or amazon.

Back