• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express vs Rough Country vs ? - L/UCA Drop Brackets

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm going to be buying drop brackets soon, until I can save up enough to do the full long arm kit.

I've found two decent looking and fairly common sets out there, the RE9000+RE9005 from Rubicon Express and the Rough Country 1627 brackets.

Does anyone have experiance with these two? and if there is a better option I'm all ears but mind you I need to be watching both quality and the moths coming from my wallet.

I have long arms now, but I had drop brackets and short arms for a while. I had the Rough Country drop brackets, which were ok, but I wasnt happy with the supports that came with the kit. They mount with self tapping bolts, whereas the Rubicon Express supports mount under the transmission crossmember. I ended up getting the RE supports and using them with my RC brackets, which worked pretty well.

I had RCX drop brackets and never had an issue, but i changed my hardware so i didnt use the self tapping screws. Wheeled it hard and got some good flex with my 6.5" lift. Had good road manners also.

Ill see if i can find pictures of my install. Its been a while and i dont have that xj anymore

The RE and RC drop brackets are very similar. The RE support brackets are much better than the RC brackets. The RE support brackets are bigger, and use the cross member bolts, instead of self stripping sheet metal screws.

The RE ones are the nicest of all the drop bracket setups. You might consider the rockkrawler 3 link "upgrade" kit. It's about 700 bucks (drop brackets are going to be around 400). Then you can sell your short arms.

Rough country new are only 190$... pretty cheap upgrade for what they do. The only better part about the RE is the longer brace, but like I said a few stich welds on the RC and they will do fine.. and looks like the RE ones are going for about 240$.

Even better find a used pair, Rough Countrys can usually be had for around 120$

If it's just to hold you over go with the cheaper one, in the end they'll be for sale and you'll deal with common lowballers so..

Back