• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ add a leafs?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So whats a decent MJ add a leaf?

I am helping a buddy out with his rig, just welded up some rear shock mounts and slapped some 5150s on the rear, has a spring over in the rear. Shocks are a little too long. We need to get some added spring rate and about 1.25-2" of lift.

I don't see prices on hell creeks . We are sprung over too. Not under. I was considering cutting the eyes off an Xj main and longer shackles since we have all of that.

I just cut up my old saggy pack (original leafs on my XJ) and used the main leaf in my new flat pack, gained me about 1 1/2". Ride is a bit stiffer but still flexes nice.

I just cut up my old saggy pack (original leafs on my XJ) and used the main leaf in my new flat pack, gained me about 1 1/2". Ride is a bit stiffer but still flexes nice.

So you ran the Xj main in the mj pack?

Ive built a lot of bastard packs for XJs, but never for MJs. the springs seem to have a higher rate due to the spring under(ours is now spring over) and thicker leaves. I wonder if an XJ main with the eyes cut would even net a 3/4".

At this point, if we could gain 3/4"(1/4" from the spring height due to spring over and 1/2" from the added spring rate?) from an XJ main and 1/4" from a XJ lift shackle, we would gain about an inch total , which should be a good start?

I have access to a old XJ pack I could use -that is why I am curious about the XJ mains in an MJ.

Last edited:
oh yeah? Are the skyjackers the same as the XJ leaf? Are they the long leafs? I have contacted a bunch of suppliers and they usually say their MJ leaf is the same part number as the XJ leaf -which doesn't make sense to me, since the MJ is sprung under , and visually has thicker leaves. Our new MJ is spring over.

oh yeah? Are the skyjackers the same as the XJ leaf? Are they the long leafs? I have contacted a bunch of suppliers and they usually say their MJ leaf is the same part number as the XJ leaf -which doesn't make sense to me, since the MJ is sprung under , and visually has thicker leaves. Our new MJ is spring over.

They are pretty long... As long as the second leaf in the mj pack

If you want to firm it up without losing any flexibility and gain maybe 2" of lift, try using a set of 56" 84-86-ish 1/2 ton 2wd Chevy Suburban rear springs. They bolt right in and don't mess with wheelbase or shackle location. I did that on an 87 shortbed MJ I had a few years ago, worked great.

If you want to firm it up without losing any flexibility and gain maybe 2" of lift, try using a set of 56" 84-86-ish 1/2 ton 2wd Chevy Suburban rear springs. They bolt right in and don't mess with wheelbase or shackle location. I did that on an 87 shortbed MJ I had a few years ago, worked great.

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds like an ideal situation. Right now there is no budget. We ended up getting a free XJ main from a 4.5" lift pack and cut the eyes off. Haven't installed it yet , but hoping it nets 2" of lift and keeps the rear from dropping 2" with as little as 150 pound load.

3" XJ AAL and some very long lift shackles -netting like 2.5-2.75" lift -

With the bed fully loaded with gear , the approx 2.75" lift with 3" bump stop extensions that I made:
Sat on the axle tubes - just leaving town for the trail.

So Now I am thinking about doing a SOA with the 2wd packs I have lying around- stock shackles and leaving the pack alone otherwise.

I am also thinking of cutting the eyes off the main on the 2wd pack and throwing them in the SUA 4x4 packs to stiffen it up, increase capacity, and maybe add another 1/2" of lift. but if I do that , the 2wd are done for...

Last edited:
Back