• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No it’s not finished, 87 XJ 4.6 stroker, PSD D60 and 10.5

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I’ve struggled with this jeep over the years when I returned from the Army in 2008
I brought it to a fabrication shop and paid them to 4 link it for my rockwells and build a cage. I had to move to the Seattle area for a job and left it at the shop.

After waiting over 3 years I realized it wasn’t going to happen. I changed the build to 03 PSD axles and went down myself. When I told them I was coming they finally built the cage.
In doing so they lit the dash on fire melting the passenger side and covering the bare cage in rust and fire extinguisher powder. After retrieving it, it was stolen a long with my PSD/trailer and quad a ton of tools and parts.
PSD/trailer and jeep were recovered. I finally moved somewhere where I can finish the build myself.

Sorry that’s a bit long anyway here it goes. I’m going to kinda touch on the stuff I’ve done but not get into it too much. If anyone asks for specifics I can get into it if I remember.
Current build plan (mostly "completed"):
87 XJ ,4.6 Renix, AW4
Atlas 2 4.3:1, 32 spline output, 1350 yolks
High angle rear drive shaft
03 F350 Dana 60 front 4.88 (changing to 5.38/and an undecided locker)
03 F350 10.5 Sterling rear 4.88 /LSD (have 5.38’s/Detroit).
4 wheel discs/ hydroboost
3 Link/Panhard front, 4 Link rear
14” 2.0 SAW Coil Over’s
41” 14.5 x18 IROK radials
PSC assist

other things…

My first build on this jeep I had a 5.5” RE longarm, 35’s and geared and locked d30/d44.
l_b898cacfa2d5224dd92f0603bc0762ee.jpg

Last edited:
I snapped a D30 axle on the rubicon and decided I wanted to go crazy and use rockwells.
I spent a ridiculous amount of money on the Rockwell build and my jeep stayed like this “mocked up” for 3 years.
IMG_4766-1.jpg

While I was waiting for the shop I decided to build a 4.6 stroker.
87 Renix
7120 Head Home ported using Standard abrasives port kit.
99+ Intake
4.2L 3.895" stroke crank Rebuilt by PAW
Jeep 4.2L 5.875" rods Rebuilt and shotpeened by PAW
Speed Pro H825CP +0.030" bore pistons
63mm Throttle body by Strokedjeep.com
Ford 24lb/hr injectors

I only need a 96 fuel rail for my 99 intake then it will be done.
Exact parts required and prices can be found here
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjQfo_05egFcdGJfa2tXOWNPMmJDcHNyVzE1bS1pbkE&usp=sharing

I’ve seen too many orange, red and ford blue engines so I went with AMC blue. Leaks should be easy to spot as well.

548343_10153411556760360_1889010493_n_zps22bb2424.jpg

Last edited:
Last year I installed the atlas and Vanco hydroboost.
I had to run an escalade master cylinder because the one vanco sent hit my coilovers.
I also installed a wilwood prop valve and redid All of the jeeps brake lines… I used SUR&R Lines which I highly recommend very easy to work with. I think it’s a nickel/copper alloy.
1271812_10153186234405360_255489389_o_zpsd6090f0e.jpg

I relocated my gas tank so it wasn’t a bumpstop. I plan on adding a 1”x2” square tube frame to lift it up a bit more and get it away from sheet edges. I’m plowing through my things to weld list so maybe next week.

IMG_20110814_231628.jpg

Perplexed on how I would mount my battery with my coil over hoops in the way of EVERY THING, I relocated it behind the passenger seat and made my battery cable out of 00 awg welding cable my brother had.
1292942_10153195096185360_1811467258_o_zps18776562.jpg

Last edited:
That pretty much catches up to now. Last week I replaced the switch on my welder and made an extension cord that would use my dryer plug.

I’d like to first point out I have never fabricated anything on my own until now. I tried practicing welds on a jeep fender but it’s too thin and flux core kept blowing through so I went straight to it.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time mocking up my fender wells with poster board. I pretty much made a whole well, but left it all at my parents house when I moved the jeep into my garage. Luckily I had one sheet cut already and honestly I should of just mocked one sheet up and built off of that anyway.
Trying to assemble poster board fender wells is futile waste of time…

My first jeep welds ! lol
11480_10153762761940360_760055330_n_zps772d3a42.jpg

Luckily at this point I had the foresight to cut back further than the top plate so I wouldn’t end up with a square well. Sadly the front looks weird. I had to weld it to the rear seat bracket but didn’t even think about the angle It’s only like 2 inches further than the top… I may re do it later.
I stitch welded the body side of the well and sealed it with Loctite S30 I still don’t know if it stays tacky or not, I hope not lol.
I also mounted my coil over reservoirs… sexy :D
IMG_20140123_220936_zpsmty8s7ow.jpg

I didn’t feel comfortable doing any structural welds yet so when my brother inlaw dropped by I had him weld up the brackets for my engine compartment brace. He can make flux look good, he was a union welder for a while and before that welded for a tractor equipment company.

We also made a bracket for my power steering reservoir, he welded half and I welded the other half. When my welder is cranked up it runs so much smoother than on its lowest setting for the sheet it totally feels better.
IMG_20140123_221014_zpsnxahmdon.jpg

Last edited:
Before he welded the bar I used quarters to gap the bracket, In hind sight I should of used nickels because it was too tight for the sawzall to move freely I had to chase the blade with a couple punches as I went.
IMG_20140123_221033_zpsbtqr7fdq.jpg

I managed to get it cut out painted and reinstalled. That means stroker install soon! Probably after I finish my welding. I also welded sheet in the massive gap in the last fender well pic and finished the top and front welded seems. Oh and found the aircleaners new home since it wont fit with the reservoir in place.
IMG_20140124_161625_zpshai4bzi1.jpg

keep at it man, i know the feeling when the project seems like it will never end but just work it when you can and stay focused on the end game!

:cheers:

Awesome build man. Keep praticing your welding an you will be a one man fab shop. So are you staying with the original plan for a memorial for fallen soldiers? I dig that, im a combat vet and still serving. Ive lost some friends myself. Keep it up!

Good to see you didn't dump this big pig awhile back
Don't tell it but I almost did

So are you staying with the original plan for a memorial for fallen soldiers? I dig that, im a combat vet and still serving. Ive lost some friends myself. Keep it up!
Absolutely it will happen I just have to get to that point.

Thanks gents, I got a little bit more done today but I think I'm done for the evening my back can only handle so much. Phil just told me I need a bigger hole if I need the coil overs rebuilt So I guess I'll cut it out a bit on the other side and fix the left when that day comes.
That my friends is why you shouldn't wing it, Lol.

IMG_20140125_171942_zpsc6tkedjh.jpg

I made the top plate on the right 1/2" shorter to get a little more angle up front I figured it won't be noticeable difference symmetrically but take a way a little of the square.

IMG_20140125_171956_zpsj6zvcx03.jpg

Well my PSC ram is now mounted.

IMG_20140126_165833_zpso8ku6oo4.jpg

My Right side fender well is done, but not before killing the second HF angle grinder of this build.

IMG_20140126_165744_zpsdrwhjjxj.jpg

I was thinking instead of cardboard templates or in addition to them to use a solid single strand wire that can be molded into the groves. I'll try it out next time, maybe it's stupid :)

You can see the lower corner in the front I had to make a patch with the varying ridges in the floor board it was a pain and took a lot of small cuts on the sheet to get it right without over cutting.

Anyway now I'm waiting on my DIY bumper from dirtbound offroad and hopefully I can pick up some bumps/straps soon. I have my rock rails and rear bumper sitting at my parents house I'll probably pick them up Tuesday.

Last edited:
I decided I could not just sit and wait today so I cut more. I noticed that the shop that had my rig didn't cut the body the same The right side it about an inch further forward which will also be easier to patch. This side will take two small sheets, I'm undecided about matching them.
IMG_20140127_134511_zps1jhnrce2.jpg

I also have this to patch up which should be pretty simple but I want an angle grinder for "fine tuning" the sheets I cut.
I use this little guy for cutting my sheet, it's awesome for following your lines and just plows right though this 16 gauge.
IMG_20140125_163650_zpsq7llm5rn.jpg

Its like a nibbler ?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Got a bit more welding done, finished off my second pound of flux wire :p
My bumper is arriving at my parent's tomorrow so I'll go pick up my rockrails and rear bumper too. My neighbors will be glad the trailer is leaving.

I'm at this corner now and I'm thinking about boxing in the brake light wiring then just spray foaming the upper area there's a lot of holes. Is that a bad idea?
I don't really see a way to close it in without making 4 more pieces.

IMG_20140129_164243_zps9sdnv5bs.jpg

Last edited:
My Dirt Bound DIY bumper arrived! Also picked up the rest of my armor. Hopefully I'll have some people over this weekend and hammer away at it. I can't wait to see that bumper finished.
I probably need to pick up hardware for the rear I'm missing all kinds of stuff from the shop that stripped it.
Also if anyone has a 96 fuel rail( or similar) for cheap I need one. My Jy doesn't have one.
IMG_20140130_145442_zpsqu69ack4.jpg

Back