• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 with 4.56

Marcelo73

NAXJA Forum User
My xj has 3.07 R&P with ax15 and 31.5MT
I've read just bad things about D35. My idea is swap it by an 8.. The problem is where I live are expensive like hell.
Most of the trails are mud, water and sand. Not rocks.
I was thinking in regearing to 4.56 with the d35. And when I put 33 or 35 tires, do the rear axle swap.
I know that spend money in something that i will be change does not look very smart, but someone have used an D35 with the 4.0 engine and that ratio or I'm asking too much to the axle?

I had the d35 in the rear of my xj geared to 4.88's for a few trips, never a problem. I was locked and on 35"x14.5" tires. Ran those tires on the locked 35 for 2 years. The dana 30 broke shafts every other trip, and stripped the ring and pinion on the second trip out after the 4.88's.

Dana35's are garbage and a waste of metal, I've seen blow spider gears on a street driven TJ with 33 at's driven by a 60 year guy. 8.25's around my area are typically 65-150$ for 29spline. worst case see what shipping would cost.

Wow! Uruguay? Yeah, that's going to cost a lot to ship. I thought Montevideo was in Mexico this whole time and was going to suggest just taking a trip across the border.

I have seen a d35 on p235/75r15 street tires spit out spider gear chunks. I wouldn't trust it, but your mileage may vary.

Wow! Uruguay? Yeah, that's going to cost a lot to ship. I thought Montevideo was in Mexico this whole time and was going to suggest just taking a trip across the border.

I have seen a d35 on p235/75r15 street tires spit out spider gear chunks. I wouldn't trust it, but your mileage may vary.

The problem is not the cost of shipping. Customs office could valuate used parts not what you pay but what they presume it costs. Then you have to pay about 60% above that. For an 8.8 are asking 1200-1500 (imported). And are few american cars ,so are fewer or none in JYs.

So far the D35 has worked. I use MT all year and in mud sometimes the pedal goes deep. However most I have read is that is a ticking bomb.

weakest parts of a D35: the spider gears and the housing

put a full- case locker (ARB/Detroit) in to fix the weak spider gears and add a truss to the housing with a heavy dif cover.

that and a set of alloy shafts and it should work fine on 33"s if you aren't a total moron with the gas pedal

weakest parts of a D35: the spider gears and the housing

put a full- case locker (ARB/Detroit) in to fix the weak spider gears and add a truss to the housing with a heavy dif cover.

that and a set of alloy shafts and it should work fine on 33"s if you aren't a total moron with the gas pedal
You forgot the axleshafts and ring/pinion.

You forgot the axleshafts and ring/pinion.

I said weakEST

9 out of 10 times the shafts outlive the oem spider gears. but yea, the shafts do break. which is also why I said a set of alloy shafts as well.

you're not going to get a stronger R&P in a D35, so if that's the axle you are going to live with, just be aware that it is weak.

That is a good point. They are available with 4.56s or 4.90s (I forget which ones come with what - isuzu rodeos and mitsu monteros are the donors?) and sometimes lockers. They are 6 lug 5.5" bolt pattern but I am pretty sure you could change that with a set of custom shafts from Moser, then just redrill the brake drums and maybe run a centering ring for them.

That is a good point, and 2wd rear toyota housings are 5 lug with the same pattern, too.

I thought most XJs in some countries in South America were outfitted with the dana 44s front and rear. Maybe that woud be an option. Also if there are any Mopars down there an 8.75 from a 67-69 B body will work. They are close to the same width and would only need to have the perches and shock modified.

I thought most XJs in some countries in South America were outfitted with the dana 44s front and rear. Maybe that woud be an option. Also if there are any Mopars down there an 8.75 from a 67-69 B body will work. They are close to the same width and would only need to have the perches and shock modified.

Here and neighbours countries all I see are D35( all with ABS). Never see D44 in front. I'm looking for S10 and ranger (Made in Brazil/Argentina). It seems some came with rear D44 and 4.56. Need to check the wide.

There are also two versions of the chevy 10 bolt to be aware of. The 8.5" ring version could be ok, but the 7.5" ring gear version wouldnt be any upgrade from your d35

I went against the advice of many and sunk some coin into my 35. I'm not recommending you do the same because we all know that the 35 is the baby sister of the xj axle options BUT... I have yet to break my 35. And it gets abused on a regular basis. I went with a full case true trac and USA standard 4.11 gears and a solid diff cover to cap it off.

Break or no break, I'm always very aware of the rear end in hairy situations...it would be nice to not have to think about it but so far so good. Gone through a set of 31s on the axle and am chewing my way through a set of 32s now. I think my auto tranny helps keep the rear end together...I know if I was driving it with a stick it would see a lot more shock load and rpm

Back