• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is my shocks maxed out for the lift?

MUKAK714

NAXJA Forum User
i recently went from 2 inch blocks in the back to a 3 inch Procomp complete leaf springs and i think my shocks are maxed out.. they are very difficult to install, first shocks goes on easy but the second shock i have to put a 1 ton jack under the axle to align the bottom hole...

when i had just the 2 inch blocks the shocks were really easy to install/uninstall

i am running RANCHO RS9000 shocks

also the lift in the rear is a little uneven, one side is 1 inch lower then the other.

I am thinking my shocks are too short for my lift

any ideas?

You posted the Brand and Model of shock, but you didn't list the application/lift it was made for.

You're simply going to have to remove one end of the shock, pull it all the way out and measure it.

Edit: Going back and reading the post over again, I see that you have to jack up the axle in order to put the shock on. Well, what's your best judgement call? Too Short? Duh.
Edit2: You state you have about 5" of lift more or less (3" spring + 2" Blocks). Get shocks for 5" of lift and you should be fine.

-Ron

Last edited:
shocks still too short, they should be half compressed or so when installed, not completely maxxed out. how do you expect to get any down travel? i bet your jeep rides like crap now too right?

shocks still too short, they should be half compressed or so when installed, not completely maxxed out. how do you expect to get any down travel? i bet your jeep rides like crap now too right?
ohh really? i didnt know!!!

and i think those PROCOMP 3 inch springs are more like a 5 inch lift... i think my RANCHO shocks are rated for a 3 inch lift ( per rancho )

now my question is.. what shocks do i buy? i dont wanna spend a buncha money.. i know bilstiens are good, but 330$ is a tad much for me now

a full set of ES3000 Pro-Comp shocks is a decent buy.. they are about $35ea

With that said.. I love my bilsteins.. they are worth the price!

Wait for then leafs to break in and settle, then determine if you need longer shocks. Also, if you like the shocks and don't wanna buy ones right now, cut and raise the lower shock mount on the axle tube. You'll gain a little more clearance and keep the shock happy.

Back