• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Cubby Holes

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I guess this falls under modified.

What I want to do is create some compartments in my 1994 2 door XJ to hold a bunch of the things that right now just take up space. Either cut holes in the plastic panels on the sides and fabricate doors or pull the plastic panels and construct a whole new panel with doors.

I know that it can be done, but instead of re-inventing the wheel I thought that I'd ask on here to see what others have done, how they've done it, and if there's even something out there that wouldn't even require much fabrication.

Any thoughts, suggestions or pictures especially would be greatly appreciated. Or just point me to some previous threads. I did a search, but didn't come up with what I'm looking for; could just be the way that I worded the search.

I think I've seen a few pics over the years. I'm in the middle of cutting my wheel wells bigger, and with that panel off in the back pass quarter, thare is a lot of space in there. In particular, I did the cut n fold to the lower rear quarter panels. This brings it up even with the floor. If you cut out that panel and put a hinged door you'd have a good amoutn of space behind the wheel well and in front of the tail light.

doesnt work for me since I'm making teh wells bigger, but Might want to cut it bigger than you are envisioning to get access. I have an aluminum panel with trim guard on a piano hinge in my mind, may look ok.

Thanks, at one time I was going to go bigger and cut the rear wheel wells. That's when I realized just how much space there is back there. Right now I have 5" of lift and 33s on it, but it's going to come down a bit and I'm going back to 31s. Yeah, I know, sounds backwards, but I never do anything serious off road anymore and use it mainly for camping, hunting and the rare outing with a few friends on some trails.

If you do happen to find any pictures I'd really appreciate it if you'd post them or PM me about it.

Last edited:
I was kind of hoping for a few more posts or even better, some pictures of what others have done.

Maybe I have the wrong forum. If so, please let me know and I'll post it there.

I was kind of hoping for a few more posts or even better, some pictures of what others have done.

Maybe I have the wrong forum. If so, please let me know and I'll post it there.

Man I've had my eye on this. I'm the kind of guy that likes to carry 2 or 3 of everything. I was really hoping to spawn some ideas from this thread.

Nice, have you given any thought to hinges and a latch?

Also, in order to get the shape just right, did you make a pattern from cardboard first, or do something else?

One last thing, is there a liner inside so that things can be stored in an orderly manner?

Thanks

Last edited:
I did, but it was too much $ at the time as I was out of work
Just cardboard, a sheet of 13 ga aluminum, a jigsaw, edge molding, and some time

Honestly the right rear is the only one I get into frequently with the jack, air hose and spares.
The.rest are filled up with mre's and water, as well as spares I am not as likely to need

Back