• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

General Grabber AT2 tires?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

thinking of getting some more aggressive tires as the no-name ones on there now just aren't cutting it on the snow. General Grabber AT2 are available in 30x9.50 and actually get better ratings in snow per tire rack than other tires in that size/category. My rig is pretty much 99% on road and any off road will be fire trails, power lines, etc. - nothing too technical. Far more important to me is being able to get around in bad weather. Also I can get them through my friend's shop at a slight discount over TR pricing, and I don't know if that holds true for Goodyear or BFG (and I'm sure it doesn't for Michelin.)

Sticking with either 235s or 30x9.50 because I just don't want/need a huge lift and lots of ground clearance for my use; towing/hauling and snow driving are my primary uses.

Any reason I shouldn't get them? What else would you recommend?

I've seen them in work on my friend land rover and they do great on snowy/slippery roads. Off road they do about as good as any all-terrain is going to do. Only tire that in my opinion is better than them for getting through inclement weather on-road at Duratracs. Which have the added benefit of being incredible off-road.

Looks like the Duratracs are only available in 235 and 31, no 30... and 235 Duratracs are $100 a set more than the Grabbers in 30x9.50. Serious question, is the extra $100 worth it?

I have the Grabber AT2s. Great tire in the snow, but the sidewalls are very delicate. I've cut down one on a trail, and punctured the other with a cactus needle. If You plan onn off roading at all, I don't recommend them. For winter driving on the highway, they're great though.

I almost got a set of them but opted for the Cooper AT3's. I've nothing but good to say about them... super quiet on dry roads and they did great in a foot of snow. I have the 31's which have the deeper tread.. not sure if the smaller sizes have the deeper tread.

I almost got a set of them but opted for the Cooper AT3's. I've nothing but good to say about them... super quiet on dry roads and they did great in a foot of snow. I have the 31's which have the deeper tread.. not sure if the smaller sizes have the deeper tread.

I've heard lots of great things about the AT3's. My buddy has them on his '94 ZJ and they work well in the snow. My last set of Coopers were the ATRs which weren't all that great, but I think the AT3's will be my next tire after my BFGs wear out.

Looks like the Duratracs are only available in 235 and 31, no 30... and 235 Duratracs are $100 a set more than the Grabbers in 30x9.50. Serious question, is the extra $100 worth it?

I haven't heard anything bad about the Grabbers, other than their limitations as an A/T tire. The Duratrac is a more agressive A/T than the Grabbers and performs a little better offroad.

Basically, Duratracs will generally do a little better than an all terrain if you ever get into a situation where you wish you had a M/T tire (although not as good as a true M/T), while still being great on road and in snow/ice/rain, etc. So I guess the qestion is, do you ever get into situations where M/Ts are the tire to have? From your initial description, I would say no, but you'll have to answer that question for yourself.

I'm leaning toward Duratracs based on this conversation... now that I think about it, the budget boost necessary to run 30s and not rub would probably eat up the price difference between the two tires. Plus, while I'm not really "hard core" I like my machine to be as capable as it can be, within reason and budget.

They do make the Duratracs in a 235/75-15. If they had made them in a 30x9.5 I would have went with them. I hear nothing but good things.

As for the AT3's, they've gotten great reviews.. the manager at the shop has 35's on his JK and said all good things. Plus the rebate and that sold me. I'm happy with them for what I use the Jeep for.

We had the Duracraps on my wife's JKUR and they sucked in the snow. In fact, they weren't great at anything. Now she has Toyo Open Country AT2s. Not only were they $50 a piece cheaper, they have 50k mile warranty. They are quieter, and get better mileage. They come in 30x9.50-15. I have heard good things about the Cooper AT3 as well.
For wet, east coast snow you can do better than Duratracs for less.

I enjoyed them a lot, I felt like they always find traction , might be just me but I thought they grabbed better than bfg at's

We sell a lot of offroad tires at work...
Everyone's been real happy with the general at2's-and i think they're a better tire than the bfg's. But, as was mentioned, the sidewalls are a lil soft.
My favorite "at" now is the toyo atII.....fantastic all around tire WITH a 50k treadwear warranty. Though they tend to be a bit more $$$ than most other tires.

GG AT2 are good. Since you mentioned the GYW Duratrac, consider the Kelly Safari TSR. Very similar to the Duratrac, still made by GY. Probably around the same price as the AT2.
GY usually offers rebates, so possibly consider the Duratrac. On top of it all, if you become a treadlightly member, you get an additional 100$ rebate on select GY tires, including the Duratrac.
For a lower priced tire. Take a look at the Falken Wildpeak AT as well.

I had the falken ones and absolutely enjoyed them in slippery roads. Wound up selling them when i swapped in a larger set of procomps and regretted it. I'm actually considering them when I purchase a new set of tires this year as they are priced well.

I'm running Duratracs on a stock 01 and love them in the snow and dirt but they are a little noisy in my opinion. The BFG AT would be my recommendation.

Goodyear ATS, Silent Armors, and their new Adventure are all good choices. I have had the ATS and Silent Armors. They roll super smooth, have perfect street manners, and are still trail worthy.

The new GY AT 'Adventure' with Kevlar are replacing the Silent Armor. You can still get the AT w/o Kevlar but I paid only $9/tire more for the Adventure in 265/16 'E' for my diesel pickup. If it doesn't say 'Adventure' and/or Kevlar on the sidewall, it isn't.

I have been running the General grabbers for five years and recommend them for an all purpose tire, especially if you are watching your budget. I am going to get duratracs or something similar as my next set but only because I am transitioning my XJ to more of a dedicated offroad vehicle.

Back