• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE driveshaft slip spline question-

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I had a longer travel front shaft made for my heep, and turns out my coast driveline shaft in the back is toast (long story) , so I'm thinking of re-purposing the front to the rear. at static its at 31" even , compressed 28.5" and extended 32" (is max leaving the width of the spline as engaged) so is 1" of extension enough? its flanged on both ends so I can add a flange driveline spacer . what you think. The guys who built it say 2" travel in and out is plenty, so 1" is fine.

i used my factory front drive shaft on the rear for a temporary solution untill i got my tom woods shaft. it worked and the splines could not possibly bottom out from suspension droop. But it shook hard the vibrations were so bad and harmonic. On the front it was smooth as butter but when the slip joint was over extended on the rear it was a ugly thing. I checked the pinion angle, it was good and i had a drive shaft shop double check it, they also said it as a over extended slip joint. so now my front drive shaft is were is belongs and my tom woods drive shaft is on the rear. So for your shaft maby jack up your jeep and allow the axle to droop down all the way see if your shaft bottoms out. if your drive shaft dose not vibrate and is just long enough then i don't see why you would have any problems.

Thanks for that. Ill try it out. Ill see if they can put a new slip section in my old shaft . The nylon is gone completely vibes bad from too much play

Back