• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance tail pipe section selection

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 cherokee needs a new tailpipe section and muffler, the sound i'm going for is quiet, no drone but still with a deep tone and minimal interior noise with good performance. Also on somewhat of a budget. what have you guys tried out what worked what didn't? So far i've seen these kits

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_IEK&Category_Code=XPA

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-p...ystems/rustys-exhaust-system-xj-cherokee.html

http://performance-curve.com/84-01cherokee25tailpipe-1-1.aspx

Cat back or tail pipe?
I used the Jeg's catback in 2.5", it's much quieter than my 2.25" Flowmaster 40 but louder than stock. Doesn't drone or annoy me but it is loud at 70 or so. At 60 it's remarkably quiet but up above that, it starts producing a lot of "white noise" sound.
Out of the three you listed, I'd go with Rusty's or Performance-Curve. Simply because I didn't like the flowmaster and can't imagine running a cherry bomb. Would bug the piss out of me, I think...

sorry i guess i am going to run a cat back system, and the tail pipe sections can be bought individually, i agree hate the loudness of cherry bomb and flowmaster. how can the white noise be avoided?

I'm assuming that the Dynomax uses the Walker Quiet Flow SS muffler... I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the "quiet" part of the name. If anything it is louder than stock and will drone a bit around 2K RPM. On the upside it weighs about a third as much as the old factory muffler and is stainless.

I'm not *real* upset with my choice as the noise isn't horrible, and it is after all a Jeep, but quiet it ain't. At speed it isn't bad even though 2K RPM is just about 60 MPH, but light acceleration around town sounds obnoxious. I'd probably think it was sweet if I had a 5-speed, but with the AW4 it doesn't sound real appealing.

I was originally going to use the factory tailpipe but when I cut it off the old muffler it would have taken too much work to make it work. I ended up getting a Walker aluminized tailpipe from one of my buddy's shop's parts suppliers to make everything happy, but I'm not a fan of either aluminized exhaust or crimp bends. When it starts to go I will probably keep the muffler but get one of the stainless mandrel bent tailpipes from the eBay guy in Annapolis, and likely have him custom bend the rear section to keep it tucked close to the gas tank skid so I can run longer shackles and/or shackle relocators if I want to in the future.

I've got the dynomax. Cheaper to destroy on the rocks. :)

Right no im kind of leaning towards performance curve exhaust tail pipe section and magnaflow, borla xs, or dynomax vt are these the most quietest performance muffler available? and does anyone have any experience with these?

I have the rustys and like it except for one issue ! The muffler in an out are reversed on the chery bomb, the inlet flows into the v(baffle) instead of around it. I called cherry bomb but it was useless. Im going to cut the SOB apart and swap the ends and weld it back together. The tailpipe fits great or would fit great but it hits my 8.8.The 8.8 has a casting piece that if cut off it would clear fine.

I've got the Performance Curve tailpipe, Magnaflow high-flow direct fit cat, and Magnaflow muffler. Sounds great, not obnoxious at all. Inside the cab there is no droning, it merely sounds like a small exhaust leak would otherwise. Just a quiet "hum". With any system that is giving you too much drone, add in a short resonator after the muffle to absorb some of the excess sound waves.

I used two 2.5" v-bands and welded them in at the end of the downpipe, and where the tailpipe meets the muffler, for easy removal and reinstallation.

I just got some pics in my email from the eBay guy (Mandrel Bending Solutions) and it looks like he's really thought this through - his pipe does not bend to the pass side like the stock pipe past the rearmost hanger, it stays tight to the gas tank skid the whole way back, and has a slight kickup before the turndown. I have a feeling I'll be getting one of these eventually, as longer shackles are on my "things I want" list.

I just got some pics in my email from the eBay guy (Mandrel Bending Solutions) and it looks like he's really thought this through - his pipe does not bend to the pass side like the stock pipe past the rearmost hanger, it stays tight to the gas tank skid the whole way back, and has a slight kickup before the turndown. I have a feeling I'll be getting one of these eventually, as longer shackles are on my "things I want" list.

Got a link? Yes I am lazy.

Put the Dynomax on my son's '90 and it works great. It replaced a Flowmaster the XJ came with. He's more interested in music than noise and this exhaust is perfect for that.

Back