• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering problem.

MichaelP

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 93 cherokee with a 4.0. The freeze plugs rusted out, so after an afternoon covered in grease, I put it all back together again sans antifreeze pouring out all over my driveway. Now I start it up and go around the block when my power steering starts to whine. I think to myself, "Well, guess I have to bleed the power steering." So after bleeding the power steering 3 different times, replacing the hoses, and beating my head against the wall Im out of ideas. Im really wondering why people say that foaming power steering could be pinhole leaks in your lines as the pressure side operates at a psi which would be forcing fluid out faster than air could enter, and the return line just dumps into the reservoir. I cant see how the lines could cause aeration, but i replaced them as I thought maybe they knew some physics i didnt. As soon as I start the vehicle the power steering fluid turns to foam and gushes all over the place. The only thing it could possible be is a suction side seal in the pump, or some kind of leak in the steering box. Does anyone have any ideas?
I dont understand how unbolting and moving the pump out of the way caused it to turn into Mr Bubbles? Anyone?

Check the fluid level because I had this happen once when I removed the pump to do some other work and had some leak out as it was tossed off to the side of the engine. How I resolved the issue was by topping off the fluid, leaving the power steering fluid cap loose to let the air escape easily and then starting the jeep and cranking the steering all the way to one side and holding it for a second and then doing the same going the other way and then double check the level to see if you need to add more. I'm pretty sure this process should force all air out of the pump and gearbox

As soon as I start the vehicle the power steering fluid turns to foam and gushes all over the place. The only thing it could possible be is a suction side seal in the pump, or some kind of leak in the steering box. Does anyone have any ideas?
I dont understand how unbolting and moving the pump out of the way caused it to turn into Mr Bubbles? Anyone?

To bleed the steering try this, it works for me.
Jack the front end up so the wheels are off the ground.
With the reservoir full and engine OFF, rotate the steering wheel slowly, lock-to-lock, a minimum of ten times. Check the reservoir and let it sit for a few minutes and repeat.
This should eliminate the air, assuming there are no leaks.

Well, I bled it, power bled it, super bled it and in the process I noticed at intermittent times while turning the wheel with fresh non aerated fluid the pump would chatter and foam would gush out the return hose so Im thinkin I have a sticking valve or a bad pump.

Back