• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Military XJ's

I had 11 years in and never saw a military XJ, even back when we still used Jeeps. I'm sure that there was some on post like you see from the Forest Service or something, but not any in actual military use, like the Jeeps and Hummers.

5 years in the military I saw TONS of military xj's all bone stock a few had electric windows.
I responded to 3 XJ vehicle fires over 2ish years of patroling (only one other vehicle fire during this time, VW rabbit). They were heavily abused used mostly in our training area by "observer/controllers" and maintenance crews.
Our training area "The box" was very muddy and mostly consisted of tank trails. We also used 6 as patrol cars until an MP fell asleep driving back to the station and wiped out 4 in the parking lot. :)
Hohenfels, Germany.

5 years in the military I saw TONS of military xj's all bone stock a few had electric windows.
I responded to 3 XJ vehicle fires over 2ish years of patroling (only one other vehicle fire during this time, VW rabbit). They were heavily abused used mostly in our training area by "observer/controllers" and maintenance crews.
Our training area "The box" was very muddy and mostly consisted of tank trails. We also used 6 as patrol cars until an MP fell asleep driving back to the station and wiped out 4 in the parking lot. :)
Hohenfels, Germany.

Ha ha, I miss those VW buses we had back in the 90's. Thankfully I was stationed in a slightly better climate than Hohenfels.

I had a NAVY used XJ. looked like they rattle canned the navy blue paint over the factory blue. They had radios in the rear seat area, it was 2dr, so military type radio connector cables were still there.

Under the hood they had "macguyverized" everything. I actually bought because only 67K on it and thought they would have taken care of it mechanically. Well at least I got it on the cheap.

I saw a Iraqi police commanders SUV (forgot what it was) with an ARB bumper in baghdad. Only "custom" bumper I ever saw in the mil.

They were exactly like Forrest service vehicles, minimal features heavily abused in extreme conditions. Germany snows and rains a lot, the tank trails can get pretty crazy.

If it isn't obvious, tanks damage everything they drive on.

Under the hood they had "macguyverized" everything.
Hence all of the vehicle fires I responded to, Lol. Not surprisingly some of our commo guys did not know how to wire anything.

I know the USN had XJ's on Guam in 2001/2002, but not sure what happened to them since then. They were stock.

Ha ha, I miss those VW buses we had back in the 90's. Thankfully I was stationed in a slightly better climate than Hohenfels.

Luckily I missed out on the buses, heard stories though lol.

Back