• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck trying to remove lower transmission cooler line from radiator

Jonner

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4dr
4.0L
AW4
206,000 miles
Ohio winter life

I'm trying to remove the lower tranmission cooler line that goes into the radiator. It looks like there is a quick release coupler about 2" off the back of the radiator (driver's side). I have quick release tools and have been tapping on it with a small hammer but cannot get it to budge. I just sprayed some PB blaster and will try again in a little bit.

There is also a spinner nut that attached to the radiator itself with the line I'm talking about. The FSM I have goes into little detail on this area.

It's the last thing I have to take off to get the radiator and condenser out (pulling the motor).

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1108306

Just pinch both sides of the plastic coupler thing you see sticking out at the end of the trans line and the line is supposed to pull off.. you might have to twist and turn it a little but that's it. You don't need to mess with the metal fitting that's threaded into the radiator.

Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.

Just pinch both sides of the plastic coupler thing you see sticking out at the end of the trans line and the line is supposed to pull off.. you might have to twist and turn it a little but that's it. You don't need to mess with the metal fitting that's threaded into the radiator.

I don't remember seeing anything plastic in that area other than the radiator's endcaps. I just had to pick up my wife from work so I'll go back at it and see if I can try with your description in mind.

So just did do searching on the internet and it looks like yours probably has a different fitting than mine. Sounds like you have the fitting which is a metal spring clip that is inserted all the way and and here is a link to a good right up I just found on how to get it disconnected.

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f64/radiator-install-99-xj-4124/

Good god what a mess that guy made. There is a correct tool for that job.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...tocraft_9010299-p?searchTerm=quick+disconnect

Its either the grey or light green one. I can't remember. I have two other sets and that place it too cramped for them. This set is cheap and fits that location well.

Also, push the hose on then insert the tool. Pull the tool and hose as one. It also helps if you spray it a bit with some form of penetrate first.

Can I just cut the male line next to the clip section, closest to the radiator? Is this part of the radiator (I plan on replacing the radiator).

Driver side transmission, lower transmission line

db8h.jpg

Spring clip evident when looking closely

r4lv.jpg

3/8" spring clip tool from Harbor Freight (I already broke the little circlip off of it to be lost in the engine bay somewhere).

uzjg.jpg

I just replaced the radiator on a 99 that had the metal clip. I used the fuel line tool to remove it. I had to replace the O rings in that fitting and that was not fun at all.

That fitting has four (4) small metal prongs that all need to be retracted at the same time,
while pushing the hoses together - and then pull them apart. Of course, you need to use
the proper sized fitting release tool. Even if you have the tool, it still is no picnic to get the
fitting to let go.

Back