• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid plate question

pipewrench

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished installing a smittybilt XRC bumper on my '99. I tried searching but couldn't find exactly what I needed on the forum.

I've been looking at getting some skid plates next to protect the steering components. The new bumper really added some ground clearance but the suspension items up front now look a little vulnerable.

Is there a bolt up skid plate made to protect the very front underside? I seen plenty online for transfer case, fuel tank, etc. But am wanting to start with one right up front, just wasn't sure what it would be called.

I'm hoping it would almost double as a splash guard to keep mud and water from splashing all over the engine and belt, my factory one was trashed before the bumper install.

Any help is much appreciated.

There's a factory skid plate for that, not sure how well it works once you lift it. Get mini skids on your axle side lower control arm brackets before you bend the crap out of them.

Most guys just go to beefier steering components vs a skid to cover up the steering.

There's a factory skid plate for that, not sure how well it works once you lift it. Get mini skids on your axle side lower control arm brackets before you bend the crap out of them.

Most guys just go to beefier steering components vs a skid to cover up the steering.

Thanks, I'll maybe grab those when I order the sway bar disconnects from them I've been reading about.

The factory skid starts losing coverage for steering components almost immediately as you lift the Jeep. Does a great job covering them at stock height. It's an effective splash / muck guard at any height, though.
Rustys sells a knockoff of the factory unit for about 120 bucks.

I'd start with transfer case and gas tank, though. Replacing your tie rod or straightening it to get you home isn't that big of a deal compared to a hole in your transfer case or gas tank. Hit the tank hard enough, you'll wreck the pump. Now you're effed.

Thanks for the reply, I suppose your right, I'll look at the one from Rusty's. Man I guess people are right when they say jeep stands for just empty every pocket....I keep telling myself I'm done buying stuff and I keep finding more things I 'need'.

I keep telling myself I'm done buying stuff and I keep finding more things I 'need'.

Been there.
Been there so long, I leave a tooth brush on the sink.
Been there so long, I started forwarding my mail.
I'm pretty sure that's America, actually, or maybe just the human condition.
Honestly... put a skid plate under the gas tank & one under the transfer case, then stop reading the forums unless, in the course of your normal life, you find something about the jeep you honestly don't like / have a problem with. Then find a mod or repair that applies to that particular problem. I mean, not that I've done that myself, but I think it's good advice.

A solid axle doesn't lend itself to a skid for the steering components. Even if you gave up the ground clearance for a skid to hang low enough to guard the steering at ride height, the axle and steering components move down with suspension travel rendering the skid useless. At $120, you are half way to the cost of upgrading to some 1.5"x.120 wall Dom steering from someone like ruffstuff, and it requires no skid. I've pushed my jeeps entire weight against my tie rod on a rock and it's as good as new.

Just finished installing a smittybilt XRC bumper on my '99. I tried searching but couldn't find exactly what I needed on the forum.

I've been looking at getting some skid plates next to protect the steering components. The new bumper really added some ground clearance but the suspension items up front now look a little vulnerable.

Is there a bolt up skid plate made to protect the very front underside? I seen plenty online for transfer case, fuel tank, etc. But am wanting to start with one right up front, just wasn't sure what it would be called.

I'm hoping it would almost double as a splash guard to keep mud and water from splashing all over the engine and belt, my factory one was trashed before the bumper install.

Any help is much appreciated.
there is a factory front skid. rustys also offers one. having had one, im not a fan. they do a good job of protecting the drag link, but make working on anything in the front end a COMPLETE pain in the ass. i recommend upgrading your tie rod before trying to protect it with a skid. we dont need radiator and steering box skids like the TJ guys...

as for the spash guard thing... ive found they like to act as a shovel or scoop if you need to go backwards in water/mud.

there is a factory front skid. rustys also offers one. having had one, im not a fan. they do a good job of protecting the drag link, but make working on anything in the front end a COMPLETE pain in the ass. i recommend upgrading your tie rod before trying to protect it with a skid. we dont need radiator and steering box skids like the TJ guys...

as for the spash guard thing... ive found they like to act as a shovel or scoop if you need to go backwards in water/mud.

x2

I have that bumper op. You'll get much more from beefier steering components than you will with a skid plate.

It is pretty universal that people don't think its necessary but I wanted one.

I found a stock one someone reinforced and added caged light boxes to.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245633759&postcount=47

I added a 1" drop and it lines up just below the steering..
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245623028&postcount=45

I am pretty sure it saved my stock steering once when the drivers side of it got hit hard enough to bend the skid and crush one of my drop spacers.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245863419&postcount=96

For a splash guard it works great moving forward but I agree it is like a scoop if you need to back up. I have never caught it on anything during my usual mild trail/rock duty though.
Recently while in reverse after a failed hill climb in deep snow I think it shoved snow up there and pulled my alternator plug loose.

In the years it has been on there it has only been hit hard once .
I have Currie hd steering now and still decided to put it back on even though it had bent and needed straightened and further reinforced which was a p.i.t.a.

It definitely makes things harder to work on without removing the skid. So far every time I take it off it needs to bent to go back on.
After the last reinforcement I doubt it will need to be tweaked unless I slam it hard again.

Now that I have Hd steering (a better idea) I suppose I don't need it.
It is in the way, kind of a pita and possibly a waste of time, but in the end I like the look. If I didn't want some things that werent practical I wouldn't have my Jeep.

Btw x2 on the Lca,trans,and gas tank skids they are way more useful.. Rocker guards are too if you like your rig to stay unwrinkled.

One piece at a time for years is how mine is going down, it adds up man good luck with your build.

Wow thanks for all the advice guys. I guess my priorities have slightly changed...I'll get a gas tank skid, LCA protectors, and transfer case skid. Possibly in that order.

One last question, since I am going to go without the front end skid, does anyone have any ideas about making a splash guard or finding a factory one?

And bigkin, how do you like your bumper? I have hardly drove mine since it got installed. I still don't think I have all the air out of the power steering lines since I had to replace my steering box during the bumper install.

Wow thanks for all the advice guys. I guess my priorities have slightly changed...I'll get a gas tank skid, LCA protectors, and transfer case skid. Possibly in that order.

One last question, since I am going to go without the front end skid, does anyone have any ideas about making a splash guard or finding a factory one?

And bigkin, how do you like your bumper? I have hardly drove mine since it got installed. I still don't think I have all the air out of the power steering lines since I had to replace my steering box during the bumper install.

i would get a Tcase skid then a gas tank skid. the LCA mini skids can be made yourself for quite cheap, at the same time, be sure to beef up the passenger side UCA mount. just a note... a good Tcase skid can still be bent if mounted to the stock crossmember. you should (ideally) beef up both.

i run without a splash gaurd. ive been in water, but try to avoid it. no issues running without it.

Last edited:
I bought the Rusty's front skid primarily as an easy add-on cross-member. It does not offer much protection for the tie rod so an HD tie rod is a good idea whether you go with the skid or not. I bought Iron Rock's TR.

Back