• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a second alternator to an 96 XJ?

Cessnapilot89

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I am trying to figure out a way to mount a 24V alternator into my 96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 to power some amateur radio equipment. The 24 volt system would be completely separate from the vehicle's electrical system, existing only to power my 24 volt radios. I was thinking it could possibly be mounted below the idler pulley, or become a new idler pulley. Has anyone here made a dual alternator set up?

-Cody

No experience with dual alternators, but that sounds like the hard way to do it.

The flatfender guys with 6v systems get step-up converters to run 12v radios. Maybe something similar exists for 12->24. How much current do you need? Could you do 12->120->24? Then you would have an inverter and 120vac available for other stuff.

The military stuff doesn't run on any bands we can use though.

You should be able to set it up as a secondary electrical system - since it's not going to interface with the OEM 12VDC system.

You can probably run them off of a common chassis ground, since it's going to be mounted to the engine anyhow.

As far as finding a 24VDC alternator, I would say to either check with Prestolite or Leece-Neville (I know they both do 24V stuff,) and you can also check with Wicks Aircraft Supply or Aircraft Spruce & Supply (both are kitbuilder suppliers) for 24V aircraft alternators. You shouldn't need much in the way of available current, so that should save you a few bucks (I doubt you can find anything lower than 30A rated output, which should be more than plenty.)

Good luck!

This topic came up a few times here on NAXJA. Do a search and see if any of them meet your requirements. They are usually 12 volt system though. I personally would go the 12 to 24 volt converter route.

Try this link.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1105322

Back