• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

identifying up-country

dmillion

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be at Pull-N-Save and would like to get a set of the up-country rear springs for my XJ. Can anyone tell me what I need to look for? How can I tell if the rear leaf springs in an XJ are up-country or regular?

Thanks!

dmillion said:
I'm going to be at Pull-N-Save and would like to get a set of the up-country rear springs for my XJ. Can anyone tell me what I need to look for? How can I tell if the rear leaf springs in an XJ are up-country or regular?

Thanks!

The "Up Country" option wasn't just springs, it was a complete package. What you're looking for is a fairly late model XJ with front, transfer case and gas tank skid plates, front and rear tow hooks (rear is driver's side only, delete if equipped with hitch), and NO rear sway bar.

There may be a "220" stamped or stenciled on the shortest leaf of each spring, indicating the spring rate.

look at the rear most drivers side window. there should be a small sticker on it (from the inside) that says "up country" (it's about 3/4" by 2").

Also IIRC up country was available on Sport trims or higher (no SE trim would have it), if not ONLY on sport trim.

Also to add to what Eagle said, you will have the full size spare, factory roof rack, front fog lights

The full-size spare was part of the Up Country package. The roof rack and fog lights were not.

My 2000 Classic with Up Country does not have any stickers or anything to identify that it has the option. I have seen other posts mention this, but I have never seen an XJ with Up Country that had any stickers or decals. Maybe that was jsut a California thing.

Hmm.... I wish I still had my booklet of the models, but IIRC that was the whole package in the 98... including the sticker :D (believe it or not, but I think it was listed on the window sticker LOL)

In Virginia when shopping for an XJ i found numerous with the Up Country stickers, and the accompanying equipment. Even saw this on some Grands. Does not seem to be a California thing i guess.

my 98 Classic does not have the sticker either. It has UC package and towing package both. Maybe that has something to do with it.
On the fullsize spare it does not guarantee it, ones equiped with a traklock have a fullsize spare as well even without UC option.

Back