• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre 96 Rear Disk E-Brake Cables

jhendry51

NAXJA Forum User
I know there has been discussions on this in the past but I didn't want to revive a dead thread.
I have a 96 xj with zj disks and about 3"of lift. My stock cables were too rusted and short to do the bend and clamp method of attaching them, so I decided to find new cables that would work. My search led to bruin brake cables, a US based company that makes custom cables (and also the same company that makes the Napa cables 97-01 xjs can use).
I contacted them via email about my setup, and one of their engineers responded the same day. We went back and forth with measurements, he sent me technical drawings of the lines with some tweaks, and they made a custom part Number specifically for my setup.
3 days later, I got my lines and they went right in! Only issue is the springs are a tad long on the brake side, but no big deal.
So the part number you'll need is (2) 97212 for 96 and older trucks. They'll work with any lift from 3" on up to at least 6.5" (I ordered them long as I'm lifting up to 6" or so). Best part? They're under 100 bucks for the set and I already paid for the engineering fee to make the custom part Number that will be in their system from now on for you guys haha.
TLDR: bruinbrakecables.com for 2 of part 97212 for zj brakes on a lifted pre 97 xj. Enjoy.
Disclaimer: I'm not employed by or affiliated with Bruin, just a happy customer!

Nice.

would something like this also be needed if your lifted and will run a ford 8.8 rear?

What's the difference in pre 97 and late models? I did the same brake mod to my 98 at least 3 yrs ago and just left the cables off. I never use the e-brake but it would be nice to reconnect it. I'm already running a 6.5" rough country lift.

These may work on the 8.8, I haven't looked at the e brake connection to say for sure though.

The 97+ jeeps have different length cables because they run to the drivers unibody rail, not up the center tunnel like earlier xjs.

52" may work for stock (but is shorter than stock) but I can't see them working with a lift. Also, in other threads there are documented problems with those cables having different lengths. Made by crown auto, likely overseas where quality control is something that happens to other people. I'll pay a little more to buy domestic and be sure I only have to do something once, thanks.

Back