• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper/tow package

Any advice on how to get the rear bumper and light duty tow package off the back end of my 96 WITHOUT a torch?

I went after the most rearward bolt in the tow package and the nut and bolt just spin. So I have to get the rear bumper off so I can get a wrench on it.

I dont see a way to get at the bolt inside of the rear bumper brackets. And the 4 bolts that hold the bracket to the frame are equally hard to get a wrench on both sides.

penetrating oil and patience... what's probably happened is that you've broken the nutstrips inside the "frame rail" so you'll need those and new bolts. You'll also probably have to grind off the bolt heads. You will have to remove the bumper to retrieve the broken nutstrips if you are planning on reinstalling the hitch on this vehicle, and that's a whole lot of no fun... went through that exercise earlier this year trying to install a hitch bumper (ended up never getting it installed, but that's another story for another time... but now I can R&R my rear bumper without extreme measures)

15mm (i think) short 3/8 socket with an extended length 3/8 breaker bar gets the 4 bumper bolts off pretty easy.

Any advice on how to get the rear bumper and light duty tow package off the back end of my 96 WITHOUT a torch?

I went after the most rearward bolt in the tow package and the nut and bolt just spin. So I have to get the rear bumper off so I can get a wrench on it.

I dont see a way to get at the bolt inside of the rear bumper brackets. And the 4 bolts that hold the bracket to the frame are equally hard to get a wrench on both sides.

Back