• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans fluid?

megamanmojo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi forums

I want to do an trans fluid and filter change this weekend and have no idea what kind of fluid to use. Will DEX VI work or should i stay with DEX III

I thought that the higher numbers can always be used even if the lower number is recommended. The higher number is an improved version of the lower number. If I were you I would run the dextron 6.

Chryco superceded with ATF+4, however YMMV. I use Amsoil Universal ATF with no ill effects. Do not have a gauge yet, but the temps are probably better. Especially with my B&M cooler.

aw4 trans take dexron.. there is some misconception in the tsb about atf+4. you have to read the tsb close but the aw4 still uses Dexon3. I work at a dealer and have access to lots of atf4. I have un atf4 in an aw4. the torque converter engages hard. Atf4 is a grabbier fluid. dexron is slippery fluid.

I don't think my PO's EVER changed the tranny fluid in my 96. I started a series of drain and fills with Wally Worlds high mileage stuff. I never thought it shifted hard until after the first drain and fill. Who knew 4 qts of the generic stuff would make such a huge difference. Completely changed the way mine shifted. Went from shifting like an old truck to shifting like an old car and its only getting better with each drain and fill. YMMV

I don't think my PO's EVER changed the tranny fluid in my 96. I started a series of drain and fills with Wally Worlds high mileage stuff. I never thought it shifted hard until after the first drain and fill. Who knew 4 qts of the generic stuff would make such a huge difference. Completely changed the way mine shifted. Went from shifting like an old truck to shifting like an old car and its only getting better with each drain and fill. YMMV

Keep it up.

No reason to change the screen anyway. There is no factory recommended replacement time. It's not a filter.

Yep. My drain plug says Dex II right on it. I agee on leaving the screen. Mine was spotless at 100k, but I usually drained the sump every 15k.

Chryco superceded with ATF+4, however YMMV. I use Amsoil Universal ATF with no ill effects. Do not have a gauge yet, but the temps are probably better. Especially with my B&M cooler.

I bought my XJ at 135,000 miles. I did a poor man's flush then fill it with Amsoil about 3,000 miles later (despite reading plenty of negative comments on this and other forums against using other than ATF3) then did a drain and fill with Amsoil after 50,000 miles. The XJ now have over 270,000 miles and the AW4 run and shift like new (no, I not know what a new AW4 shift like).

My advice to is, if you have the least bit of doubt, stick with the recommended oil.

Back