• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Gremlin - Stalling When Braking or Rolling Windows Down, etc...

bzauche

NAXJA Forum User
A little back story:

Monday (I think), I started having random stalling/engine bogging down, but it only happened occasionally when I was braking. My CEL popped up, and I had it checked at AutoZone...the code it was throwing was P0705, which as far as I know is for the NSS. I went home, took the NSS off, cleaned it, and re-greased it. That didn't fix the issue. After I started the XJ up, hitting the brake pedal would still cause the engine to bog down some. The CEL was still there as well.

Yesterday, I checked the vacuum on my brake booster, because it was suggested that possibly the brake booster was bad or had a leak. Based on the test I was told to perform, I needed a new brake booster, which would hopefully solve my issue. So after work, I went to AutoZone and picked up a new brake booster.

When I pulled up to my mailbox, I rolled my window down, and then when I went to roll it back up, it barely budged. The engine bogged down to the point that it stalled out. I finally got the window back up and rolled it into the garage. Based on the window bogging the engine down, I didn't bother installing the brake booster, but rather spent time cleaning battery terminals and battery cable contacts. No dice. Engine still bogged down when the brake pedal was pressed or I tried to roll any window down. Keep in mind that this whole time, the interior lights work just fine, as well as all my gauges and the radio. The XJ would also run if I unhooked the battery after starting, or even if I unhooked the alternator's ground wire.

This morning, I took my battery out and got a ride to AutoZone to have it tested. It's a 5 year old Interstate installed by the PO, and it turns out it had bad cells, but a 100% charge of the cells that were still good. That ruled out the possibility of the alternator being bad. So, I took this as an opportunity to get a new battery, hoping that it would solve my problems. 1 DieHard Platinum later, and still no progress.

I'm stumped, simply because it starts up and runs perfectly until I try to apply the brakes or roll a window down. I have noticed that my taillights have been a little funky, and the other day when I was driving home, my turn signal occasionally blinked double fast.

I plan on adding a second alternator ground wire later tonight just for the heck of it, but other than that, I have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Back