• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 jeep Cherokee sport 4.0 exhaust manifold replacement

kpowning

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 jeep Cherokee sport 2 door with the 4.0 in it. Recently noticed a large crack in my exhaust manifold. I have been searching and searching but can't find an aftermarket beefed up header/exhaust manifold as a replacement. Can anyone provide some ideas and or links to an aftermarket strong replacement? Thanks in advance.

AFAIK there is no "header" or beefed up version of the Renix manifold (as I too searched for one in vain). You could have a muffler shop fab up a downpipe with the correct holes/bungs for the O2 and EGR onto a decent header, but otherwise you're stuck with the Renix manifold.

That's because the RENIX has that wretched EGR valve, which was deleted for 1991-2007 6-242 engine (they fiddled with the cam timing a bit to encourage "exhaust gas reversion" - which does the same thing, without adding failure-prone parts.)

Pretty much stuck with OEMR, pulls, and maybe Dorman has a replacement aftermarket manifold.

Does Nevada do emmissions on 88's? If not, maybe a header off a later year.

They just do a tail pipe sniff. As long as it passes emissions, they don't care if you are driving a supercharged Llama. Feel free to bolt on a nice header.

Back