• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock bumper with winch

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm in the process of building my new XJ, its a 2000. I'm selling my 87 with the front tube bumper I made because I want to try something different. I'd like to cut out, modify and reinforce the front end. I though it would be cool to tuck my Warn M8000 behind the front bumper along with some D rings that could stick through the front bumper as well. I love the stockish look but didn't want to lose my legit tow points or winch. What do you guys think? Has it been done, any ideas?

I found this but want something more concealed...

http://www.detoursusa.com/xjbackbone.php

I'd like to cut out, modify and reinforce the front end. I though it would be cool to tuck my Warn M8000 behind the front bumper along with some D rings that could stick through the front bumper as well. I love the stockish look but didn't want to lose my legit tow points or winch. What do you guys think? Has it been done, any ideas?
Chrysler once sold a winch kit for the XJ that mounted a 6000-lbs winch behind the bumper, in front of the crossmember. The bumper was pushed forward a couple of inches and retained a stock look.
You can probably find photos with a little searching.
This was my inspiration when building a hidden winch. I already had a beefy towing base-plate and used it as a starting point and for the front recoverly points.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157604557867782/
In five years, no one has ever spotted it or asked me about it.

Search around the forum for hidden winch mount etc there have been a few over the years that were well documented with pics & materials. Google will be your friend. Where are you around the Bay, anyhow? Just moved out of Berkeley in August. Lived in the east bay a few years.

Why?
Not without considerabe reenforcement and bolting to crossmembers and cross.
There are so many nice and strong aftermarket winch bumbers that will be stronger, and in my opinion, niceer looking, then a stock cut-up and jerryrigged.

Justy my 2cents and worth all you paid for it.

Why?
Not without considerabe reenforcement and bolting to crossmembers and cross.
There are so many nice and strong aftermarket winch bumbers that will be stronger, and in my opinion, niceer looking, then a stock cut-up and jerryrigged.

Justy my 2cents and worth all you paid for it.

IMO, on a small build (3"+31's), any large traditional aftermarket winch bumper looks stupid. Having a winch hidden behind the OEM bumper keeps a clean look and you still have Plan B.

It's either that or some sort of low profile bumper with a hidden winch.

I did something similar years ago, here are some pics if you interested.
With the M8000 you could probably keep the bumper and grill intact and just have the fairlead sticking out. With the cheapo champion i had that didn't work out. I assume the control box on the M8000 can be easily relocated, that's what I should have done on mine.
I did remove alot of the front cross member and then reinforeced it.

1_zpsc7879b1c.jpg

2_zps53ee7265.jpg

12_zpsc7cbcec9.jpg

11_zps19d10a5f.jpg

I did something similar years ago, here are some pics if you interested.
With the M8000 you could probably keep the bumper and grill intact and just have the fairlead sticking out. With the cheapo champion i had that didn't work out. I assume the control box on the M8000 can be easily relocated, that's what I should have done on mine.
I did remove alot of the front cross member and then reinforeced it.

11_zps19d10a5f.jpg

That look really nice. I have plans in my head to do something similar but instead of using the OEM bumper I will make one using 2" X 7" channel or rectangular tubing.

How far below the bumper does the winch/winch plate sit? Do you have a picture of the front straight ahead showing the top and bottom of the bumper? It would be interesting to see how much of the winch protrudes above or below the bumper.

With the M8000 you could probably keep the bumper and grill intact and just have the fairlead sticking out. With the cheapo champion I had that didn't work out. I assume the control box on the M8000 can be easily relocated, that's what I should have done on mine.

The M8000, with the relay box remotely mounted, can fit under the grill, leaving the grill intact. There is a limit how far it can be pushed back since the M8000 will run into the steering box. If shoved too far under the front, you will have a hard time seeing how the line spools in and if it does get tangled, it is hard to straighten it out, due to lack of access.
If you replace the steel line with synthetic line and replace the rollers with an aluminum fairlead, it can be covered with the license plate which totally disguises the winch.
images

[/img]

Back