• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle Swap

CobraMarty

NAXJA Forum User
When doing this swap using the WJ knuckles and welded on JKS spacers,

Which XJ unit/hub bearing is usually/most often used? Early or Late?

Bolt old worn out redrilled WJ rotors to new redrilled WJ rotors

insert in drill press

=)

My concern is that the disc mounting surface on the early hubs is taller than the late hubs. So which hub do you use to get the WJ rotors to center with the WJ caliper bolting to the WJ knuckle with the JKS spacer welded on?

Thats a matter of what rotor you use.

A lot of people use teh WJ rotor redrilled, others use an explorer sport trac rotor.

I used a Redrilled Wj rotors from IRO and 2001 TJ unit bearings from rock auto, timken for like 65$ each.

So redrilled WJ rotor with late ('99-01) hub bearings.

Does the explorer sport track rotors line up with the early (pre-'98) hub bearings? And are they already 5x4.5?

Thats what I've read, but never used them. I'm sure you can search it out here.

So redrilled WJ rotor with late ('99-01) hub bearings.

Does the explorer sport track rotors line up with the early (pre-'98) hub bearings? And are they already 5x4.5?

The sport trac rotor works, your unit bearing lug stud flange will be a c-hair too big though. Run an angle grinder around it 3x and then it'll fit into the ford rotor.

The sport trac rotor works, your unit bearing lug stud flange will be a c-hair too big though. Run an angle grinder around it 3x and then it'll fit into the ford rotor.

Correct, I use Sport-trac Rotors and 93-98 Bearings.. I have to grind down the Flange about the thickness of a Credit card off the Flange.. I keep a spare with Stub shaft already ground down ready to fit if SHTF.

On RockAuto-

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Do you use the Front RWD(2wd), Front 4WD or Rear rotors?

I had the Sport trac rotors with newer bearings and you have to not only grind some off the hub flange, but also space the caliper as the rotor top hats are different.

I now have redrilled WJ rotors.

Redrill the WJ rotors so you don't have to use any spacers. I was concerned about it being difficult to drill, but it was easy. Drill press, 5/8" bit, 3/4" countersink and you're done.

The difference in hub height between WJ and late XJ is almost exactly the thickness of the spacers. That's why you go late XJ hub - to compensate for the spacer and let the rotor fit in the caliper. The spacer is, AFAIK, mandatory. That's after spending a *lot* of time trying to find a way around it.
Sport trac = space caliper & grind hub
WJ = re-drill rotor
Pick your poison.

Does anyone know if the WJ (redrilled to 5x4.5) 12" rotors and WJ calipers bolt on to the early XJ knuckles?
Or the Explorer sport trac rotors and WJ calipers bolt on to the early XJ knuckles?

Also found this about the WJ calipers-

"The Akebono-style caliper used in 2002-and-up WJs is considered to be a better setup than the Teves-style caliper used in early WJ Grand Cherokees. Both calipers are dual-piston, but the Teves caliper is prone to causing rotor warp from overheating. The Akebono-style caliper uses a more rigid bracket with greater surface area, which helps promote cooling better than the Teves unit does."

I have run wj knuckoes for years. I used the jks spacer, the 96 unit bearing, a redrilled wj rotor and I had to use spacers between the knuckle and caliper. One other thing to note is if you are running the akebono calipers and a 15 inch wheel the calipers need some grinding.

Back