• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ Heater Blend Door lacks full range of motion

prooffroad

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys and gals, I have started reading all the posts about Heater Blend doors. I am not certain the symptoms I observe are the same that are being posted. I disconnected the cable from the door and notice if does not swing in a full range of motion. It almost feels as if there is an obstruction. It moves completely to the cold position, but not to the warm position. When I try to force it into the warm position, it simply springs back. Any help is appreciated.

The heater treater website years are incorrect... 1997 and 1998 are still cable actuated blend doors, whereas 1999+ were actuated by motor... Even on their website it says, "First, be sure your Jeep has electronic control and isn’t the “old fashioned” cable link to a slide lever. If there is a little actuator motor on the bottom of the box next to the transmission tunnel, our kit is correct." I am not sure even if the blend door is faulty on a cable actuated system if they are interchangeable.

I'm not sure about them bein interchangeable. Mine is a 98 and is motor driven not cable. The 98 has the dial u turn, not the slider for heat control.

Mine is also a 98 (early in the production year) and it has the dial adjuster, but it is still cable driven. If yours is motor driven make sure the motor is fully lubricated and functioning properly prior to assuming it's the blend door. The motor itself can become dry (non lubricated) and also cause malfunction.

If yours truly is motor driven, consider the fact that the motor may not be strong enough to pull the door past an obstruction. I would consider dropping the motor then trying to turn the blend door with a set of pliers. If you can completely control your heat and air by hand, consider getting a small pair of vise grips attaching it to the post and simply running your heat and air conditioning solely by hand. This might work with a cable driven system as well. I don't know. Mine is motor driven and I am using the vice grip method and it works great.

Back