• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't read codes from odometer

Abock33

NAXJA Forum User
So my check engine light is on in my 01 4X4. I've tried to read the code through the odometer with no luck. I've tried the self diagnostic way of jolting the trip reset and turn the ignition on and the key cycle method. (On, off, on, off,on). The trip method runs through the gauge cluster check and just goes to the mileage. The key cycle does nothing.

I know I can run to any parts store and have them read it. Or I could just buy my own reader from any of the tool guys at work but I'm too cheap and lazy. I like having the ability to check it without tools. Should be a standard on all vehicles.

Any idea why this isn't cooperating?

Thanks in advanced.

Cross over point for doing the key clicky code thing ended midway through the '97 model, so it's hit and miss on those model years. But it seems to work on some of the older '97s.

Before then, you should be able to get codes.

After mid year 97, no dice. All you will get is a dash diagnostics check, to validate the functionality of your gauges....

Unfortunately, the odometer trick or key cycling will NOT work on your 01. That luxury went away sometime mid-1997.

You will need either a code reader or a scan tool to read your codes. No other way.

Good luck.

Oh well. I had a 01 tj that did it so I figured it was the same. And everything I read was saying 97+. Now I know I need to quit being cheap and buy one. Thanks guys.

Also went to the parts store on the way home and it was just p0441. I love the gas cap code.

My 97 I had to cycle mine to run 5 or 6 times, then it would do the gauge check, odometer, 2 digit code, odometer, code, odometer, and so on.

Cant hurt to try it.

Back