• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best CAI filter?

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a K&N intake tube with an Amsoil blue filter on it. I bought the setup used so have no idea how many miles are on it. I'd considered replacing it for peace of mind... If I was going to do so, who makes the the best-filtering element? Like, the one that actually removes the most dust?

i'm not a fan of open-air elements on most vehicles, but if i do use one, i'd only use K&N with a pre-filter sock on it, and keep up on the oiling/maintenance.
if you operate in dry dusty areas you are better off not using one at all.

Wow, that's a really good article. Thanks for posting it.
Cheat sheet :
AEM filters remove 99.4 percent of the dirt in a controlled test, air raid 98.4, amsoil 98.3 - all rounded to nearest tenth percent. K&N filters 96.1 - but it can get *very* dirty without starving the engine.
I don't run in the Baja and don't mind knocking some dirt off a filter now and then. For me, the AEM looks like the best bet. As with any filter if you get one bigger than you really need, it can get dirtier before the engine is restricted.

Just found another good article here...
Take home from that one is that AC Delco paper filters are the best at filtering but the most restrictive as well. This test was done with replacements for a Duramax, in, I think, the factory air box. Pretty much what we already knew - that on a per square inch basis, paper is more restrictive but better filtering. To put a number on it, the AC Delco paper filter caught 99.9 % of the dust in that test. 0.5% better than AEM, which is actually a smaller difference than between AEM and Air Raid according to the first test.

The best thing to do for performance *and* reliability would be to use a larger paper filter - to pick a bigger factory airbox out of another vehicle. Failing that, AEM, Air Raid and Amsoil are all pretty darn good.

Last edited:
I've got a K&N intake tube with an Amsoil blue filter on it. I bought the setup used so have no idea how many miles are on it. I'd considered replacing it for peace of mind... If I was going to do so, who makes the the best-filtering element? Like, the one that actually removes the most dust?

Thank you for bringing up the question. I am in almost exactly the same place. Only difference is that I still have the K&N filter in place on the K&N intake tube. I definitely want to know what my alternatives are.

On my Cummins I run a BHAF (ridiculously large open element paper filter): http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9l-rotary-performance/38333-bhaf-part-numbers.html

If I were to find a similar, but shorter filter for the 3" K&N tube I would be inclined to try it in my XJ. Barring that, those AEM type filters look like a better option.

Add one more who appreciates that Four Wheeler link.

I'm inclined to haunt the junkyards for an OEM filter application that will fit in the stock space but uses a filter with larger surface area. I keep thinking of the ZJ air cleaner box but haven't yet measured to see if it will actually fit.

I've run the Amsoil Ea filter with the pre-filter sock in very dusty conditions for a couple years with good results. Cleans up easily with a vacuum, and while I haven't got an oil analysis to prove it works, no grit on the inside of the filter or intake tube to be seen.

look into the Donaldson air filter setup. More info on Gojeep's site.

Back