• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just a thought.

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep uses 5/16" bolts on the top of the engine, a T-60 screw on the oil filter adapter bolt, a 3/4-16 thread on the adapter itself, metric screws to hold the brakes in place but SAE bleeders, an Asian transmission bolted to a Chrysler built engine designed by AMC, the wheel threads are metric but the pattern is standard and all I've got to say is that, if the Germans had won WW II, there would at least be some internal logic and consistency to this mess.

I'm just happy to have a use for my SAE wrenches after so many years of japanese vehicles... :roll:

it is a weird conglomeration, but the XJ really got some top choice parts out of the deal.

It's a real solid platform overall. I wish, though, that Chrysler had invested a little more in it when they re-designed in '97. It would have cannibalized sales off of the WJ, but I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven if I saw an XJ with 4.7 / 5 speed auto and WJ brakes / NVH improvements. I guess they knew they were scrapping it for the KJ in a few years...

Oddly, I'm just now learning which bits are actually SAE. I'd been wondering WTF was up with the 16mm drain plug... turns out... it's 5/8". Never worked on SAE stuff before my '57 truck project, which is another mutt.

The wheel studs are 1/2-20" standard american english :)

I've worked on so many cars over the years my tool bag is a conglomeration of SAE and Metric, with just about everything in between thrown in (torx, allen, etc).

I think what it is, is a conspiracy between auto manufacturers and tool makers to sell more tools and fasteners.

The really odd thing about the automotive world compared to the gun world, guns are designed to be disassembled almost completely with a bare minimum of tools, yet the automotive world you need pretty much every tool ever invented to work on it.

To assemble an AR from scratch I need:
Pin punch
tap hammer
5/32 hex key or flathead screwdriver
action block
armorers wrench

To swap an alternator I need:
Ratchet
13mm socket
13mm OE wrench
8mm socket/screwdriver (removing the e-fan)
15mm socket
10mm socket
bladed screwdriver
and I'm sure theres at least two I'm forgetting.

hah! So, I should be using a 3/4 lug socket instead of my 19mm.
Le sigh.

the problem goes father back than the XJ. AMC was well-known to bastardize their CJs and FSJ vehicles with components from several manufacturers. ford ignitions, GM steering columns, even aftermarket stuff like Warn hubs. why design your own, when there is good stuff on the market that does the job??
it was all fine until they got mixed up with the french and started using Peugot parts in an effort to boost Peugot's bottom line.

So, I should be using a 3/4 lug socket instead of my 19mm.

Maybe. The threads are 1/2x20 but I have both 3/4" and 13/16" acorn nuts on the same truck (or are they metric??)

Just out of necessity I've had the crossover sizes stashed in my long term memory (e.g.13mm / 1/2") since working on my 59' Mercedes 220S in my high school auto shop.

The wheel studs are 1/2-20" standard american english :)

I've worked on so many cars over the years my tool bag is a conglomeration of SAE and Metric, with just about everything in between thrown in (torx, allen, etc).

I think what it is, is a conspiracy between auto manufacturers and tool makers to sell more tools and fasteners.

The really odd thing about the automotive world compared to the gun world, guns are designed to be disassembled almost completely with a bare minimum of tools, yet the automotive world you need pretty much every tool ever invented to work on it.

To assemble an AR from scratch I need:
Pin punch
tap hammer
5/32 hex key or flathead screwdriver
action block
armorers wrench

To swap an alternator I need:
Ratchet
13mm socket
13mm OE wrench
8mm socket/screwdriver (removing the e-fan)
15mm socket
10mm socket
bladed screwdriver
and I'm sure theres at least two I'm forgetting.

You should see all the tools I have to use to build an M-14 from scratch. LOL

Maybe. The threads are 1/2x20 but I have both 3/4" and 13/16" acorn nuts on the same truck (or are they metric??)

Just out of necessity I've had the crossover sizes stashed in my long term memory (e.g.13mm / 1/2") since working on my 59' Mercedes 220S in my high school auto shop.

Lug nuts come in a number of hex sizes, I think I've had at least 3 different sizes over the years. Some have covers, some don't, billet lugs are usually still a different size. Usually if I have a few different sizes on a vehicle, I will go through and replace the whole lot with one size.

You should see all the tools I have to use to build an M-14 from scratch. LOL

There is no shortage of tools needed for that one... the one I still love is that goofy tool you need for removing the extractor on the M1 carbine so either you can replace the extractor or firing pin.

the problem goes father back than the XJ. AMC was well-known to bastardize their CJs and FSJ vehicles with components from several manufacturers. ford ignitions, GM steering columns, even aftermarket stuff like Warn hubs. why design your own, when there is good stuff on the market that does the job??
it was all fine until they got mixed up with the french and started using Peugot parts in an effort to boost Peugot's bottom line.

Correct.

AMC stands for All Makes Combined.

Can't remember the count of all the times I've cursed AMC, (Model 17), Cherokee Engineers, or those in cahoots in putting together the new and improved XJ. &#%@$$SHeessh! Back is not getting any better crawling out, and back under.., with perhaps the best fitting tool, only to find... SHeessh again, lol.

OFF TOPIC: 'Ya all forgot, (well.., maybe, lol), OTHER TOOLS; thread, scotch tape, and a little metal rod in which to test all U.S.G.I. 14 parts by suspending each part near the ear, and striking parts in which to hear it either ring.., (a keeper), or donk.., (a non forged spare at best). [BTW: 1/4 moa]. Good to know there are some good serious fellows here. Don't forget to vacuum pack... those from a known good lot...

Hah! Oh some cheap and overpriced lug nuts I'd bought, the motion of the impact would take the chrome *right* off them. So yeah, 19 & 18mm sockets. I think I replaced most of those with some lugnuts I'd gotten at a junkyard...

Back