• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SKIM ISSUES

Spokes

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anyway to more or less reboot the ECU without taking it to a dealer? I swapped in another ECU that im assuming had a chipped key. Now my jeep wont stay running because it isnt a chipped key and i get code p1686. ive tried disconnecting the battery and the head light trick. No luck.

Without someone that has a PCM programmer, once a PCM has the SKIM enabled it is hard-saved and cannot be disabled. If a PCM sees a chip reader it turns it on and will not turn it off. This was by design from the factory so that thieves couldn't swap out PCM's to bypass the chipped keys.

If you can get the skim module from the same vehicle as the PCM, you can have a new key programmed in. Even better if you can get the key too.

If you can get the skim module from the same vehicle as the PCM, you can have a new key programmed in. Even better if you can get the key too.

SKIM is no big deal, and it is subject to random failures often requiring replacement and/or reprogramming of the PCM. For the cost of a SKIM module, and a some programmed chip keys, the OP can buy another good used non-SKIM enabled PCM, and be done with the whole mess.

Without someone that has a PCM programmer, once a PCM has the SKIM enabled it is hard-saved and cannot be disabled. If a PCM sees a chip reader it turns it on and will not turn it off. This was by design from the factory so that thieves couldn't swap out PCM's to bypass the chipped keys.

When SKIM gets enabled it sets a flag in the calibration as well as a flag on the EEPROM of the processor inside the PCM, none of the publically available tools, either to the dealers or PCM "remanufactures", have the access to disable SKIM in the EEPROM. That's why you see alot of "rebuilt" PCMs with SKIM enabled. Also if a thief had another ecu that was non-SKIM enabled and they were going to steal the car they could just unplug the SKIM module, drop in the new ecu and drive away.

sorry took me a while to reply guys. I ended up getting another numbers matching ECU and it thankfully didnt have SKIM issues so the jeep is good to go again! thanks though!

I'm having troubles with the SKIM module, I removed the covers under the wheel. There's a bunch of cables coming from the transponder reader that if I move, the light turn off and the engine starts. After I release the cables (with the engine running) the SKIM light may turn on again (but the engines does not power off).

I think I have 2 options: try to find the trouble cable (no idea how) or replace the PCM with a new one with SKIM.

Is there any difference between PCM from XJ of differents markets? (USA vs foreign). I called some that sell rebuilt PCM (to buy one with the SKIM module) and ask me almost twice because is in a model for export.

Back