• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 xj no spark

cadamas01

NAXJA Forum User
Here is the story so far. My step son went to phoenix to visit his grandfather and the throw out bearing and clutch slave cylinder went out. Towed it back to nm and replaced the clutch and slave cylinder. Clutch now moves properly. Engine will turn over but not start. has fuel but no spark. checked the reference voltage on the cps and only getting 2.8 vdc. cherokee is a 5 speed 2.5. any help would be appreciated.

I know next to nothing about the 2.5 XJ's, they are really rare here. First off I'd inspect very closely that the wiring for the CPS or any wiring for that matter, didn't get caught between the bell housing and the motor (seen it more than a few times).

I don't have a 96 FSM so I'm really guessing here. Unplug the CPS and check the voltage with the key in the run position. If there is no change it is likely another sensor (or wire) is shorted and sucking the voltage down.

On the 97 L6 motor the same 5 volt orange wire supplies voltage to the cam position sensor, the MAP and the TPS. Unplug them all and see if the 5 volts comes back. If there is no orange wire going to the MAP or TPS, you likely have the earlier configuration. But unplugging sensors and seeing what happens to your CPS voltage isn't a bad strategy anyway, the various supply voltages to different sensor sets is interconnected someway inside the PCM.

It may not even be 5 volts, I´m not sure if the 2.5 is OBD 1 or OBD 2 and/or basically a 95 configuration or a 97 configuration.

On earlier models (95) the CPS shares the (orange wire) supply voltage with only the cam position sensor and the speed sensor and is an 8 volt supply.

Just trying to help, hopefully I didn't just confuse things. :)

Just a thought, but I've seen guys pull and reinstall the tranny and smack and crack the CPS while reinstalling the tranny/bellhousing.

I would imagine (no experience) that the input voltage for the crank sensor for the 2.5 engine should be 5 volts, the same as the 4.0 engine.

The crank sensor and the coil are the #1 and #2 suspects for no spark.

Any 2.5 guys that can help out here?

Check to see if it has an OBD II connector under the
dash. If so, you should be able to read both OBD I and
II codes. If you can get a code out of it, then that would
make the diagnosis easier.

Best guess would be a damaged CPS or a blown fuse, maybe for the O2 heater circuit...?

Back