• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Ignition Coilpack upgrade

MountainRhino

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, its been a while since I've been here. Just got My 4th XJ, it's a 2001, and I want to bring the most out of the engine itself without major enhancements (yet). I have been skimming threads for hours and have found things that I have bookmarked but nothing on Ignition Coil upgrades. who makes em? I know a 350sb, stoked 4.9L, turbo/SC would be nice, its out of the question at this time so any other under hood improvements you can suggest would be helpful. :attom:

No coil upgrades made. Wouldn't do any good anyway. Stock is great, and any kind of a "hotter" spark wouldn't make a bit of difference. Just like the efire plugs. No performance improvement.

It's supposedly a hotter spark. Hence, performance upgrade. Not that I think you stand to gain much by upgrading the ignition on a mostly stock motor with an already good ignition system. But it can't hurt.

needs a coilpack anyways. I know I will always be looking to upgrade the next thing. figured if there was something available, I would get it while im needing a replacement anyways. ive heard its good to 300hp, and I hope to beat that but in small increments. Thanks for your input guys.

The stock Viper coil is a small upgrade. Davis Unified Ignition makes an upgraded Viper coil. They were willing to sell me one of the 6 post coils alone. http://performancedistributors.com/

all modern chrysler coils are the same harness connector? does this coil plug and done? Advance priced me $109 for a oem replacement and its not going to last. i figure less than $100 difference would be worth the upgrade.

I don't know. I know on the Viper coils it is a straight through extension. I heard of someone using a coil off a caravan or something and he had some difficulty, but it could just have been him as he mentioned moving the plug wires all around.

Going off rock auto the Viper coil also crossed over to RAM 1500 PICKUP(2004 - 2006), RAM 2500 PICKUP(1997 - 2003), RAM 3500 PICKUP(1997 - 2003), and Viper(1997-2006). However, that could also be due to mounting differences.

I took a look at which coil that guy used. It was an Airtex 5C1432. Taking a look at Rockauto (its great for stuff like this) it crosses over to a bunch of other vehicles, but not the viper & ram.

I took a look at which coil that guy used. It was an Airtex 5C1432. Taking a look at Rockauto (its great for stuff like this) it crosses over to a bunch of other vehicles, but not the viper & ram.

HMMMMM!!!! time to go talk to Jeep Service & Parts.

what are the chances there are the same amount of wires, colored to match a XJ harness? Cause I know i wont find a Viper in my reliable yard, but I know there is a Ram.

...and to be honest, I am sure there isnt much that crosses into the real of 4.0L when it comes to coils due to its unique one piece multi coils. plug would have nothing to do with it.

HMMMMM!!!! time to go talk to Jeep Service & Parts.
They might have a wiring diagram you could use.
what are the chances there are the same amount of wires, colored to match a XJ harness?
Same amount of wires, yes. Colored and matched the same? I doubt it. I believe that was the problem that guy had with his. He tried to do what I did, but used a different coil with probably a different wiring sequence

...and to be honest, I am sure there isnt much that crosses into the real of 4.0L when it comes to coils due to its unique one piece multi coils. plug would have nothing to do with it.
Only the 4.0L uses the exact same coil rail.

I have not looked into so I could be wrong but... Is the 01 coil rail not some mercedes v12 part that was adapted? Maybe a hi po Mercedes rail could be used? Won't fix the pita coil on plug issue. (I have an 01) but could be a performance option?

if its a one piece rail, It would have to fit exactly. my plans are to eventually get to upgrade intake, exhuast, ignition, injectors. at that point I would consider some kind of computer adjustment (parts or flash), and maybe a TB spacer or slightly bored TB. All things that have somewhat endless use, and all work better with each other, through the upgrade timeline.

on the last three XJ's I have alwys dove right into the suspension and gutted the exhaust. I want to start under the hood this time and do some side projects for more reliability.

at the point of getting some bolt-on/plug-and-play upgrades completed, I'd like to start working on a fancy head. I have a couple threads tagged regarding the purple mopar cam and the yella terra 1.7's.

I figure at this point I will have some respectable power out of $2-3K. I know thats stroker money, but even a stroker would like all these things so I figured it would be easier to get it little by little in the beggining and hope to get lucky later.

This is the Mercedes coil rail:
231339d1332634690-v12-ignition-coil-packs-s600-s65-cl600-cl65-sl600-sl65-photo-2.jpg

Looks like it only has one coil at the end. Two plugs per cylinder and they take two of those rails. One on each bank. A quick search yielded $300+ for a single rail.

Here are two videos of removal and install:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijuC3Qgwt08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx_7uwLLkuY

I guess looking at those rail ours are much easier to get off and cheaper.

In the search I found this insanity: http://sgrallying.blogspot.com/2013_08_07_archive.html
V12-Cobra-09.jpg

Last edited:
Back